Description of the issue:
After installing brave browser and setting the search engine to Google, anytime I highlight a word on any website, a pop-up at the bottom of the site appears with a preview of search results by Google in relation to that word. This is the “Touch to search” functionality that I am referring to.
I absolutely loathe this feature as I copy and paste a lot from my browser, and it’s very bothersome to have a pop up appear every time.
In order to remove this touch to search functionality:
- Highlight any word on any site.
- Expand the touch to search pop-up
- Click the ‘settings’ text within the “include surrounding text in brave” notice.
- Turn off toggle for touch to search
So what’s the issue if I can turn it off?
- This notice never reappears if you accidentally dismiss the notice: “include surrounding text in brave”. Which is what happened to me. In which case it will leave you with no way to access this settings page to turn it off, unless you reset the browser.
- This is not intuitive at all, please just give us a simple way to turn this off in settings.
**Steps to Reproduce:
- Reset brave browser / install fresh brave
- Set search engine to google
- Go to any website and highlight any word
- Expand the “touch to search” pop up at the bottom of the browser and dismiss the “include surrounding text in brave” by clicking ‘No Thanks’
- Try to highlight another word, no mention for settings will ever appear again. So it’s impossible to turn off touch to search, no access to this setting page anymore
Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):
No way to access this setting ever again after dismissing this notice
A setting somewhere in the Brave settings menu.
Reproduces how often:
Operating System and Brave Version(See the
About Brave page in the main menu):
This issue has been present in the
Brave 1.60.110, Chromium 119.0.6045.105
According to previous posts on this forum, this issue has been around since 2020.