Dark mode resests after browser is closed

Description of the issue:
launching brave causes the “what’s new in brave” page to open, not in the previous pre-update dark theme (i didn’t have my sunglasses handy, so that HURT) AND a New Tab in one window/instance, as well as the “What’s New” page in a private browsing window with Tor enabled.
Not Happy…you guys have been spot on for a long time with the updates and now you broke it again

How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Don sunglasses
    2.Launch brave

Expected result:
my last browsed page, now sacrificed to the altar of Brave feature education. Not happy, folks (have I mentioned that?)
Brave Version( check About Brave):
1.52.117 Linux (xubuntu 22.04)
Additional Information:
I hope to see this fixed in tomorrow’s update (hint hint).
Not pleased. you damned near blinded me and gave me a heart attack all at once.

6 Likes

I am experiencing the same theme issue. Brave is starting up in Light theme each time I open it. I can toggle my theme settings to light then back to dark in order to restore the correct theme, but I need to do this every time I open the browser.

Version 1.52.117 Chromium: 114.0.5735.90 (Official Build) (64-bit)
Linux Mint 21.1 (Mate)

Updated from deb https://brave-browser-apt-release.s3.brave.com/ stable main

2 Likes

Can confirm the same issue. Switches back after I switch it to light and then back to dark, but is in light mode every time it’s started up.

1 Like

After updating to Version 1.52.117 Chromium: 114.0.5735.90 of Brave,Dark mode keeps on reseting to light mode,even though it is still set in Settings-Appearance as Dark.

4 Likes

can also confirm that toggling the theme doesn’t stick
I’m trying a different black theme from the google chrome addon store/site…maybe that will make a difference

UPDATE- changing themes from “classic” to a new dark theme I grabbed off the chrome addon store seems to have made the change stick. I can close and reopen brave and have dark mode as it was and should be.

2 Likes

@gmanrhoda2023,
Thank you for reaching out to us.
When it switches back to light, does the setting still say/is it still set to dark, but just appears light? Or is the option itself in Settings --> Appearance changing?

2 Likes

For me, the settings said it was dark. then I toggled to light and back to dark, and it changed.
For me, I’ve switched from the “classic” dark mode to a new one I DL’d from the chrome addon store and it seems to be sticking now…

1 Like

@heysoundude,
To be clear, you’re currently using the dark mode theme that you downloaded from the web store which is staying as intended, is that correct?

yes, affirmative, correct.
It may not be brave, but an outdated addon/theme. I’m just happy I’m not getting the “what’s new” page opening in the regular browser and a private browser instance with Tor anymore. That was almost as annoying as getting blinded by non-dark mode lol

1 Like

Can also confirm!
Version: v1.52.117;

Hope this gets addressed soon!
If this goes on, I might try to downgrade… This is the last v1.51 that I found on github,

It has .deb package. I didn’t try to downgrade with apt in a long time but I might try to google for it.
I can’t believe this got through testing?!

2 Likes

The righ way to downgrade is actually
apt list --all-versions brave-browser
and
sudo apt install package_name=package_version

1 Like

Ok, I can report that downgrading with
sudo apt install brave-browser=1.51.118 worked! It kept the new backgrounds for some reason, but dark mode on startup works again. I will block this version in my update manager and hope this gets solved in the future - Please devs <3

1 Like

Description of the issue:
I use dark “brave colors” in appearance tab in settings. After recent major update brave resets some elements’ color back to light colors. Most noticeable: recent sites icons’ background, drop menu, settings screen. But the option stays put on “dark”. I have to choose “light” then “dark” again to set it right. The problem repeats after each new launch consistently.

How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Close browser
  2. Open browser

Expected result:
Colors revert to light themed.

Brave Version( check About Brave):

Version 1.52.117 Chromium: 114.0.5735.90 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Additional Information:
I haven’t changed any options after update, except trying new vertical tabs. Reverting back to horizontal tabs doesn’t negate the trouble.

2 Likes

Now I’m confused whether it’s the theme I’ve added of if brave’s dark mode is just broken.
regardless, something is borked. i blame Memorial Day long weekend.

1 Like

I can confirm the exact same problem. Same Linux Mint version and kernel. Same Chromium version. I made no modifications to Brave after this recent update.

1 Like

I also am having this issue. When I restart Brave it always shows up as Light mode.

When I look at settings, they are set correctly! It says “Classic” and “Dark”, but the entire window is white and obviously not in Dark mode.

If I change the Light/Dark setting back and forth, it actually switches to Dark mode and works as expected.

I do not use any themes, just Classic. I am on Linux.

1 Like

There are many reports of this:

I even saw some on reddit.
It is brave that’s broken, at least on linux. I “solved” this by downgrading with
sudo apt install brave-browser=1.51.118

2 Likes

And as you quoted, one of them has a Github:

What we’ll do is tag @Mattches and @steeven on it so they are aware. They may be able to tag in teams on it. Keep in mind it’s the weekend, so chances of them popping in before Monday is slim.

But other thing I’ll ask you, @stevecedrone, @vergil, @quest, and everyone else is if you all can test with Brave Beta or Nightly. It would be interesting to see if it might already be “resolved” in one of those updates.

2 Likes

Unfortunately this issue exists in the latest stable release as well as the latest Brave Beta, and Nightly builds.

2 Likes

It stinks that it didn’t resolve by then, but at least good to know the results. I figure it would definitely be one of the things that would be asked by developers or one of the support staff later on. So at least got that one step ahead for them.

Btw, I’m about to toss the other topics over into this one. So you’ll see a lot of things appear.

2 Likes