"Continue where you left off" startup option is not working

Description of the issue: “Continue where you left off” startup option is not working. Recently closed tabs won’t automatically restore when relaunching Brave browser.
How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Open at least 2 tabs then search for anything.
  2. Close Brave Browser then relaunch it.
  3. All tabs are gone. Only the default tab is open.

Expected result: I did not change the startup option in settings so I was confused why Brave won’t load my previous tabs like it used to.

Brave Version( check About Brave): I already forgot the version where the bug occurred. I just installed Brave on my laptop this 2022 using Windows 11. I already updated to the latest version v1.45.123 but the bug is still not fixed. The bug just randomly occurred.

Additional Information: I have already read some similar posts but still haven’t found a fix for this issue. Please fix this bug ASAP. Even pinned tabs won’t restore.

Are you using any extensions? If so, have you tried disabling them and see if the behavior changes?

I am already using McAfee Web Advisor extension before the bug. I remember adding Grammarly extension on November 9, 2022 then the bug occurred on November 11, 2022. I tried your suggestion by disabling both extensions but the result is still the same.

Does the issue occur if you create a new profile and try it in that profile? (Make sure your original profile does not have any open windows; only the new profile should be open.)

Creating and testing a new profile will not affect your original/existing profile(s).

Obviously you’ll want to make sure the right setting is enabled in the new profile as well, although it should be the default in Brave.

I tried your suggestion and here are the results:

1. It worked on the new profile but did not work on my main profile.
  2. I tried changing from “Continue where you left off” option to “Open the New Tab page” on my main profile and relaunched Brave. The pinned tabs and a new tab were restored.
  3. I changed it again from “Open the New Tab page” option to “Continue where you left off” option and it worked!
  4. I already deleted the new profile since I do not need it anyway.

Thank you for the suggestion. The issue is now fixed. For future readers, just follow these steps.

2 Likes