Configure user agent

When I check my user agent, it’s very verbose showing both my device, language and browser. This makes it very easy to track! Could you please add an option to set a custom user agent, perhaps with some stock options such as chrome? This would increase privacy.

1 Like

Agree, it would be extremely helpful to be able to use custom/spoofed user agents.

A very useful and popular site (www.archive.fo) recently (as of today) doesn’t recognize Brave as a supported browser.

It would be very helpful to be able to change the User Agent in Brave in settings to present at whatever browser you wished to avoid annoyances like this (and also to remember the settings for the specific pages).

There is a similar topic open, don’t know if we can consolidate Change user agent on Android version

1 Like

No one mentioned what environment they’re running on.
My main environment are Linux machines (desktop/laptops running Tumbleweed).

(BTW - this also works on Chrome)

To change the UA for, let’s say, desktop Linux or Windows, do this
a) Menu button => More tools => Developer tools
… In the upper right of Dev Tools widow is a
b) “three-dot menu” => More Tools => Network Conditions
Network Conditions tab is displayed at bottom third of window
(it’s scroll-able or you can move that window pane up).
c) For User agent, un-check Select Automatically, then fill in whatever UA string you’d like in the Custom field.

(a)
menu

(b)
menu2

( c )
nc

2 Likes

Yes its easy on pc but not on android.

1.) Nothing is gonna happen if chromium/gecko hits 100. The nightly and beta channels have already hit 100 and have reported only few errors with sites. Afaik, the sites are really old and not updated for quite a few years. They are on outdated tech themselves. The sites which are having such problems are already being contacted by the webcompact project or other such projects to update their site.
It just extra hysteria, nothing major is going to happen due to the error, 99% sites will work normally.

2.) I have used this one awhile back and worked pretty good https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/user-agent-switcher/lkmofgnohbedopheiphabfhfjgkhfcgf (I do not remember if it was this exactly one), there are also https://chrome.google.com/webstore/search/user%20agent?_category=extensions.
(I cannot guarantee that they are not malicious, some of them may have very bad privacy practices and policy)