Comprehensive video control on mobile Brave Web Browser

I am hoping that Brave Browser on the mobile app will implement a way to display comprehensive video control settings (say when accessing YouTube) when the user full screens the video. I love the no ads experience on Brave Browser however I am a person that will watch and listen with captions if they are available which is almost the case because almost every recent video will come with English auto-generated captions. On Safari, video options such as media control, volume adjust, closed captions, settings, and airplay are all accessible even when the video is in full screen mode on YouTube. I hope Brave Browser implements the same comprehensive video watching experience into their own browsers on the mobile platform as well.

Thank you for the hard work that you guys are doing at Brave, you guys are amazing.

On what type of device? It’s long been a big complaint that Safari doesn’t keep captions while in full screen, at least on iPhone. Below is a screenshot of a YouTube video in full screen. Captions were on but as can see, none are displayed.

Below is the same video on Brave in full screen

Notice how all the controls are the same? That’s because Apple has long required everyone to build on WebKit. So essentially you can think of Brave as being a modified version of Safari on iOS. Well, kind of a mix of Firefox and Safari. Whereas on Android and Desktop it runs more like Chromium/Chrome.

Only time captions continue playing is if you just strictly tilt the screen to put it in an artificial full screen, but don’t actually hit YouTube’s full screen button. I know I’ve written in to complain to Apple about this before but they weren’t any help. And there are plenty of complaints around the internet about it. Perhaps one day Brave may be able to make adjustments, but for now seems like a big Apple or YouTube issue.

Again, that’s on iPhone. I’m not sure if you’re using iPad and it perhaps handles better?

You’re right about the lack of video control features on Safari YouTube. I just tested it right now on my iPhone.

However, Safari YouTube on iPad seems to have solved the problem of the lack of video control. Perhaps maybe running on slightly different OS because iPhone will be running on IOS and iPads will be running on iPadOS.

1 Like