Can't swap ETH to USDT

I am trying to swap ETH to USDT and I have two choices: half or max. The half choice works fine, but I need to do the max and it says insufficient ETH funds. The system should take out all fees and give me the balance in Tether, but it won’t initiate the transaction.

Description of the issue:

Is the issue occurring on a specific network?

What operating system are you using?

Brave Version (check About Brave):

Additional Information:

@Ahtel, I understand your frustration with usability, but let me help clarify your issue. As you’ve mentioned, you’re trying to send 100% of your ETH. You need to retain some ETH to cover the gas fees. If you attempt to send 100% of your ETH, none will remain to pay for the gas. Therefore, you need to deduct a portion to cover the fee.

Additionally, ensure that you’re on the correct network. If you have Ethereum ETH but need Optimism ETH for the gas fees, this could be the issue. I’m mentioning this as I’m not sure which networks you’re moving from and to in your swap.

1 Like

It says they both are on the Ethereum Mainnet, but Coin Gecko is where the swap would take place. I take it that’s the problem. I don’t have choices. It’s what your system gives me to work with.

I’m not sure what you mean by specific network. Here are screenshots of some of the information.
Screenshot 2024-07-18 094211

I just meant sometimes people were sending things like on Optimism and they were thinking having ETH on Ethereum would cover gas. Each network that cryptocurrency is on has its own token that gets used for gas fees.

Have you reduced the amount of ETH being moved over so that some can remain and be deducted for the gas? Again, you can’t send 100% as the token you’re trying to move over is what also has to be used to pay gas fees. They don’t automatically subtract from it.

I’m on the Brave Wallet trying to use your Swap option. I have plenty of ETH, but your system doesn’t give me more than slippage for options. I would enter a certain dollar amount if I were able. The only options I’m given is half or max.

It does allow…

So like in this, it’s asking me how much ETH I want to swap. I can type in the exact amount of ETH I want to move over.

It then showed me as you see below:

Currently it’s showing high network fee, so around $18 fee to move $11 of ETH. Of course that fluctuates. So in my situation I’d either have to buy more ETH or wait for the gas fees to decrease. (Also, want to note mine looked at SushiSwap when I told Wallet to swap)

And to show you how you can type it out:

Sure it does…

You get to that menu from the settings icon. So in the screenshots I shared with you, it’s the settings gear icon on the right:

I see where I’m going wrong. I didn’t realize one could type in the amount on the 0.0 area. All my eyes were focusing on was the half or max buttons. It’s my first time using your wallet. Consider this problem solved.

1 Like

All good. Sorry if came across blunt or anything. Just trying to quickly respond as I’m doing other things so just tried going straight to the point. Can you confirm as to whether you were able to succeed on your transaction? (Also should note I don’t work for Brave, I’m just an active user who helps others)

I didn’t swap. Gas fees were too high. I’m sure it will work because it was user error. Thanks for inquiring.

I used another exchange and did the ETH to USDT before sending it off that exchange with the address generated from Brave Wallet. It never arrived. Transactions usually don’t take more than an hour and I’m not even getting a pending on Brave Wallet, although the other end stated it was a successful send. I’m not sure what to do now.

Okay, Tether just arrived. The difference between this transaction and the last was I got a pending notice in the brave wallet long before any coin arrived. That notice was missing this round for some reason. But all is well now.

1 Like

No solution. Slippage doesn’t want to deal with me. I am trying to move $65 to USDT. ETH wants $17.59 and a massive slippage that will leave me with nothing. I take it Brave is reaping the rewards of the slippage funds. I’m stuck. I can’t move the coins except to my hard wallet, maybe. If I could get it to USDT, I can move it to the exchange I use. They won’t deal with ETH, and I don’t blame them.

Screenshot 2024-07-20 222613
I tried a transfer at 25% slippage. Here are the three transaction popups. The first says I get a fair amount. The second is a much lower amount. Just for fun, I hit on confirm and got my rejection.

@Ahtel it may just be a case of needing to change RPC node, such as you can see in the article at https://support.brave.com/hc/en-us/articles/15616019512845-Changing-the-Default-RPC-Node

But not sure if anything else might be going on. If nothing else, I’m going to tag in @Evan123 and @kdenhartog to see if either can offer better assistance. Just keep in mind it’s still the weekend as I’m tagging, so might need to give it a little time for them to see and respond.

I read the article and followed right up to the point of enter the RPC you want. I have no idea what to enter. I had to research what a RPC node was and found three options.

I’ve done some research and found this site. Is there a node I can copy and paste from it? If so, which one?https://wallet-docs.brave.com/ethereum/rpc-api/methods/

This won’t be a case of RPC provider issues as far as I’m aware, it’s related to a bug that should be getting fixed but I don’t believe has landed on stable yet. Essentially the wallet isn’t automatically deducting fees from the amount you wish to swap and since you’re not leaving enough in fees it’s thinking you’re over the limit and rejecting the transaction.

To solve for this in Brave Wallet in the meantime try swapping an amount like .01565 to leave enough in fees as well as enough to transfer to the exchange since you can’t pay to transfer with USDT.

This will allow roughly .00035 in ETH to remain in your account to cover the fees for the swap and for the transfer to the exchange. This should be enough during low fee periods, but you may need to wait a bit longer for fees to drop. Currently the fees are below 10 gwei so this should be enough to cover it right now.

Our current backend provider is 0x which uses an older protocol that is susceptible to MEV extraction which is why you see the higher slippage and slightly higher fees.

There are newer protocols out there which you can use as well to make this a bit cheaper such as https://swap.cow.fi which should have slightly less fees. Using their DApp should also avoid the bug issue in the meantime since the DApp will automatically reduce the fees before submitting the transaction to our wallet. Either option will work.

Most importantly though, know that you shouldn’t swap the full amount or your funds will get stuck in your address managed by Brave wallet since you won’t have any ETH left to pay the fees for the transfer to the exchange. So at most I’d recommend swapping .0155 ETH for USDT just so you have .0005 ETH to cover the swap fees and transfer fees at any time. You can also do the smaller amount recommended above if you don’t mind waiting a bit until fees are low. Otherwise, you’ll end up needing to buy more ETH just to do the transfer to the exchange which would cause you more of a headache. Unfortunately there’s nothing we can do as a wallet to assist with this yet since this is how the ETH protocol and various swap protocols have been designed and unless you find yourself using these protocols regularly it’s easy to make mistakes.

Hopefully that helps you to get your funds moved back to the exchange you we’re looking to.

1 Like

I have never seen the gas fees under 36 gwei. I have tried to accept three quarters of the amount I have to cover all the fees and still the transaction will not go through.

I managed to move most ETH to another site. Now I can’t move USDT due to insufficient funds for gas. I have $30 in the account. I’m using ETH mainnet. Coin is on that mainnet. What now?