Cannot add custom filterlists: "Download failed"

Description of the issue: When adding custom filterlists (pulled from https://filterlists.com/), it is unable to download them, giving me an error message of “Download failed” under “Last updated.” For the purposes of this post I’ll be using this one as an example.

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3.

1. Go to filterlists.com
  2. Pick a filterlist
  3. Grab a link to the list by clicking “View” (as far as I can tell, the “Subscribe” buttons only work when you are using uBlock Origin)
  4. Go to brave://settings/shields/filters, scroll down to “Add custom filter lists”
  5. Copy/paste the link from earlier into the “Enter filter list URL” space, click “Add”
  6. The list then appears under “Custom lists,” but with the error message “Download failed” under “Last updated.”

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):

Expected result: The list successfully downloads and Brave subscribes to it.

Reproduces how often: Any time I attempt to add a new list, I’ve tried a bunch of them.

Operating System and Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu):
Fedora Workstation 37 (Linux)
Version 1.51.114 Chromium: 113.0.5672.92 (Official Build) unknown (64-bit)

(I am using the Flatpak version of Brave, which I understand is third party and not officially supported. I installed it through Brave’s official Fedora repository found here to test if the issue persisted on that version, and it did.)

Additional Information: I fully admit that I am not 100% certain that I am going through the correct steps to add custom lists, so I apologize if I am making some obvious mistake. The steps described are my best guess from searching for this topic.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.