Can I disable the PDF Viewer?

Description of the issue:

Brave PDF viewer isn’t showing in Extensions.

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3.

Go to chrome://extensions/ (chrome: or brave:, it shows both in the URL randomly)

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):

It only shows the extensions I have personally downloaded and installed.

Expected result:

Should show all the extensions.

Reproduces how often:

Every time I try it.

Brave Version(about:brave):

“about:brave” doesn’t work and never has for me. If I check through my OS’s file explorer, the application version is

Reproducible on current live release (yes/no):

I don’t know.

Additional Information:

Two reasons I would like to disable the PDF viewer extension:

  1. When I open a PDF and I want to copy the URL, I don’t want to have to search for it at the end of address bar after a long string of characters belonging to the PDF Viewer extension (“chrome-extension://oemmndcbldboiebfnladdacbdfmadadm/”). This is cumbersome. The URL of the PDF file should be clearly visible and copiable.

  2. The PDF Viewer doesn’t have smooth, stop-less zooming via pinching gestures in the trackpad. I am used to zooming in and out smoothly in order to read documents. This doesn’t work when the extension has to set the zoom to a specific % value that jumps in 10-20-30% intervals.

  3. When zoomed in, the letters look a bit blocky and not smooth. Compared to other browsers at the same zoom level (same zoom level compared with words displaying in the same size, and side by side on the screen).

Is it possible to disable this extension? Can PDFs be viewed without it?


We’re currently working on that right now:

In the meantime, if you’d like, you can install a separate extension and use that to view pdf files. Some of the extensions may not be able to override PDF.js (this is another issue we’ve been having) but I was able to install a few that did (XoDO, pdf Reader, Beeline).

Not entirely sure about the extension URL, although I do agree that it should be easier to discern and one should not have to wade through the extension jibberish to retrieve the file name. I’ll reach out to some devs and see if there’s a fix for this one. If not, I’d be happy to file an issue for you requesting it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.