Browser tabs width issue

i’m used to open many tabs on my browser, and we’re talking about hundreds of tabs open. in firefox, they maintain the width of the tab (a little bit small, but useable) so i can easily find the tabs and click on it. They use side scrolling to move between the tabs. In brave the tabs are getting smaller, sometimes too small to be able to be identified and be clicked.

please enable side scrolling and maintain minimum width for many tabs open.

thanks!

4 Likes

Totally agree! Just moved from Firefox to Brave but this single issue makes me using both browsers for different tasks which is rather uncomfortable. I’d be really happy if this problem will be fixed. In Brave there is a point when after certain amount of opened tabs, they just don’t appear, they are somewhere buried on the right under the X closing button.

I also notice when using the Brave browser for iPad they have this horizontal scrolling features for tabs, so the tabs width doesn’t get too small. The desktop version can simply copy this design.

1 Like

Hi @xpcoolz, thanks for reaching out.
This sounds like a good feature request!
In the mean time you could check out some extensions that could help with navigating your open tabs.

Hi, @Aa-ron , thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately these apps don’t help with the issue.
I hope there is an easy way to fix this, as @xpcoolz said this feature is already there on other platform. I do really like Brave but for me as a heavy desktop user, the browser is not very usable at the current state of development and I guess it’s the same for many others like me. I’ll keep using Firefox for now, but hope Brave will fix this and I’ll be able to come back.

1 Like

yep, on a 14" laptop, i can see 25 tabs (18 pinned/smaller) at most…the rest must be CTRL + TAB (or SHIFT + CTRL + TAB to go back) to move to the next consecutive tab…this really feels like an unfinished browser because of that alone…now that i’ve moved to from macOS to a PC, i’m gonna give Firefox another try…and let’s just hope that Covid-19 doesn’t make Brave abandonware…

1 Like

+1 to for this. The only thing stopping me from fully moving to brave is the tab issue. At least give users the option to resize their tabs, or select a minimum value of tabs open, before they start collapsing.

As a person who works on desktop for most of the day, and operates with hundreds of tabs, this is very important to me. The Firefox experience is the best in relation to that. Tabs never resize, and you simply use arrows to navigate to the left and right of your tab section.

These dynamic tabs are just too hard to work with, because after only a few of them are opened, they become more and more tiny.

2 Likes

+1 to this. It’s strange that a browser that’s becoming pretty mainstream doesn’t let you choose the minimum tab width you want. I agree with others here that the way it shows up on Firefox is the best. This simple feature would make Brave #1 by far.

1 Like

+1.

This is the only issue preventing me switching to brave from firefox. I often have 100+ tabs open, and sometimes for work, have about 20 active tabs that I switch between regularly. This is not a problem in firefox, thanks to the scrollable minimum width tabs and tab lazy-load on restart.

In brave, it quickly gets to the point where I can barely click on the tabs to close them, let alone read and navigate them. Tools like workona only go so far.

Please add this simple feature, it will allow me to switch to your amazing browser.

I found a solution to this problem here I will summarize below

https://itectec.com/superuser/google-chrome-how-to-increase-the-minimum-tab-width-in-chrome-chromium-brave/

In Brave address bar, enter :

brave://flags/

Next, find Tab Scrolling among the available flags and enable it : you can choose from several options (tabs shrink to pinned tab width, tabs shrink to a medium width, tabs shrink to a large width, tabs do not shrink). Then you just have to restart your browser to see the change take effect.

I will not be surprised if this procedure can be reproduced in all chrome type browsers.

4 Likes

Nice solution with some flaws : pinned tab now scrolls with other tabs and when a new tab is opened Brave doesn’t autoscroll to it.

Hi

@xpcoolz Open brave://flags/ . Enable as in image. You can also control the width of tabs

I am having an issue where the + to add a tab is missing when I click on my 2nd monitor or switch from the game I am playing on my gaming monitor. I am constantly closing the window I am watching or using because the + is missing or darkened. I am not sure if the new update did this but I am noticing it more and more.