Brave, what happened?

Honestly I can’t even tell that much of a difference, doesn’t look like Chrome either

@guygadbois,
Always nice to hear from someone who’s been with us for a long time :slight_smile:

I’m sorry the difference is so jarring to you. Rest assured, this is the best, fastest and safest Brave iteration – especially if you’re coming from the Muon browser.

The menu bar at the top was not intentionally removed, but was an inherited property. We have open feature requests to bring the menu back for Windows and Linux OS (remains on macOS).

As for the bookmarks, you can hide the bookmarks on any site by using ctrl + shift + b (cmd + shift + b on macOS) or by deselecting the “Show bookmarks bar” option – we do however have an issue wherein the bookmarks bar doesn’t seem to disappear on the new tab page. This issue is currently being addressed.

3 Likes

@del369
Agreed. Seconded. ‘Hear, Hear’.
:leaves:

1 Like

I absolutely love the changes. Having heaps of extensions to choose is a godsend and finally, bookmarks and bookmark toolbar is functioning now.

Keep up the good work.

1 Like

I’m giving up on Brave. The latest build requires me to keep Chrome open at all times, so why not change back to it? (And yes, it is hard to tell them apart.) No financial and an increasing number of non-financial sites just won’t work with Brave. I would go back to the previous build, but that doesn’t appear to be possible.

It will be :slight_smile: Everything needs its time.

@mattches has posted something about a Muon version that you can use without having to update to Chromium.

:v:

@slowreader,
If you’d like, please open a new topic regarding any sites you encounter compatibility issues with and I’d be more than happy to troubleshoot them with you.

The bottom bar is great. It would be good for my taste a more “share” icon to be faster than having to enter the menu and locate the corresponding section.

1 Like

Yep, just tried Brave browser and Brave search for the first time today. It’s just Chromium, and Chromium is really, really awful. So now I’m using Firefox again, though I’ll use Brave search.

The fact that one of the extensions I needed was broken in Brave but not Firefox was the last straw for me leaving Brave browser and going back to Firefox. I only used Brave browser for several hours. I’m still using the search though.

Yeah, I don’t mind the platform being based on Google but the main reason I loaded this browser was for privacy. Recently, an event really bothered me about the privacy. Here’s what happened:
I was looking for the cheapest place to buy Arm&Hammer Washing Soda. I was setting up an order on Walmart because they had it only slightly more than Publix, which has been out of stock a while. But my cart was left open because I had not ordered $35 worth for free shipping. WELL…Amazon lowered their price to EXACTLY the same price as Walmart. After I ordered a box, the price went back to the higher price!

I KNOW they knew what I was doing on the Walmart website and that makes me very angry.

WHAT!? :grin: :laughing: :joy: :rofl: I’m pretty sure, like… 100% sure that was more coincidental than causal. Even on the slight chance its not coincidental, it would more than likely be attributed to a lack in security on the network you were using, or the device used… and maybe spyware? i’m pretty sure a MITM attack can be ruled out with absolute certainty… considering… its highly unlikely and completely improbable that Amazon is participating in covert corporate cyber-espionage in specifically your network/device just to gain your patronage in a very small purchase such as a single sell of a box of A&H washing powder, only to then raise the price back to it’s original listed cost… furthermore, unless you discovered solid IoCs, found an implant clipped to the output twisted pair of your network cabling that upon diligent digital forensic work you found evidence of communication between the implant device and an ip associated with a server belonging to amazon, or maintain and monitor a network packet sniffing tool (WireShark, TShark, etc.) running on bare-metal system/a VM/in a container (considering most civilian/non-enterprise personal usually don’t have a full blown SOC setup within their network) and find suspicious packets being sent/received with an Amazon associated server’s IP address… then the reality is… you DO NOT ‘KNOW’ that ‘they’ knew anything about your washing powder buying escapades on walmart.com… nor that they would care… especially since they would seriously cut into their ‘bottom line’ dumping copious amounts of money into the resources that would be necessary to maintain the kind of operation they’d need in place for continuous monitoring of not only yours, but every online shopper’s purchases in order to drop their prices in targeted efforts to undercut their competitors every time someone in the world goes to buy washing powder, soap, floor cleaner or any other product of various brand names that they also sell online… and that it’s practically impossible for even a trillion dollar corporation like Amazon to remain profitable while dumping funds into such a black hole of a project that would have very little returns, when there are many other ways to beat out your competition that are much more cost-efficient, effective, and most of all, practical… well… such a thing lies pretty far outside the realm of probability… and to think otherwise is a bit on the over paranoid side… as a Grey-Hat, I’m intimately aware that a healthy amount of paranoia is definitely called for in today’s world, especially when the internet is involved… but Brave has done a pretty nice job with their privacy policy and ad/tracker blocking tools… and honestly… if I were you or anyone else that uses the internet for that matter(which i am, obviously)… I wouldn’t be so much worried about Amazon gathering information about my online shopping habits, but would instead have great concern for and take precautions to thwart the US’s NSA’s efforts to build a detailed individual profile on my real-world identity, cyber identity, online presence and activities, real-world & online connections/relationships, and even financial information and spending/saving habits from the information they gather with their debatably legal-(ish) spying tools and methods that they implement on the everyday average Joes on the daily… that they then store in one of their massive, secret data centers throughout the US… and maintain/update almost in real time… my point is… i truly believe the ‘incident’ you described to be nothing more than a coincidence… and that there are many, many, many to the umpteenth power morally/ethically ambiguous(and obviously wrong/evil) activities carried out by the worlds various big corporations, banks, governments, independently funded religious groups, and others with purposefully hidden special interests & ulterior motives every hour of every day both throughout the world, and the cyber realm of computers, smartphones and other internet connected devices that the people need to be made aware of, protect themselves from, and even rise up to fight against before we all are made more so their slaves(and in a more literal sense) than we currently are… whats worse is that most of the worlds population that these things are or will soon effect… are blissfully unaware to completely oblivious to what is going on, and what is to come soon… much sooner than some would speculate… my advice: buy crypto, mainly Bitcoin, ETH, and Monero especially… buy noble metals, especially silver… dump your contract smartphones and ALL Apple devices, replace with the Librem 5 smartphone by Purism and use a prepaid sim purchased with cash and if need be one of their laptops because Purism is extremely privacy and security centered.