Brave took over my default "share" email! Need to change it

Since installing Brave (and making it my default browser), any time I click any email address or mailto link, Brave opens up my Gmail in the browser. I want to use my Apple mail not the browser. FURTHERMORE: even clicking “share” from within Excel or Word, Brave automatically opens, and then I get an error that I can’t share it. So, I can’t even share from other apps! Brave seems to have taken over the entire sharing system on my computer. Trying to share from Preview app no longer has mail as an option. This started only after installing Brave.

How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Clicking any mailto or email link opens a gmail window in browser instead of default mail client.
  2. From Excel or Word, going to File > Share also prompts Brave browser window to open, but which also causes emailing error from the Microsoft product.
  3. From Preview app, clicking “share” no longer shows a mail option. Brave seems to have made all email sharing items on my computer faulty.

Expected result:
For clicking email links or “sharing” from various apps to open the default email desktop client.

Brave Version( check About Brave):
Version 1.11.97 Chromium: 84.0.4147.89 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Additional Information:
I’m frustrated.

@ivan-dabbles,
If you want to use Apple Mail as your default mail app, simply open the application, go to Mail --> Preferences --> Default Email Reader and choose Mail from the drop-down list.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.