Brave restarts Computer

When using Brave Browser to view youtube videos, computer restarts without any BSoD (Windows 11) or any errors. My computer simply powers off and back on again. The only message relative to this restart in event viewer is: “The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.” Nothing in the application log.

How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Open Brave Browser
  2. Go to youtube.com
  3. Select any video and watch it for three to five minutes and wait for it to restart

Expected result:
It should play youtube videos and not reboot my desktop

Brave Version( check About Brave):
Version 1.33.106 Chromium: 96.0.4664.110 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Additional Information:
The restarts happen at random times but the Brave browser has not made it past five minutes without hard rebooting my machine. Chrome, Edge and Firefox do not exhibit this issue on my desktop. I have run memtest86 without any errors, Windows 11 is a clean install from scratch (new PC build about a month ago). I use this desktop for heavy software development work for eight to ten hours a day, I never have an issue unless I use Brave.

Desktop Specs:
Windows 11 Pro
64GB Memory
1TB nvme m.2
i9-12900k

Unless there is some overclocking, Brave can’t restart a PC. I would look at temps via Hwinfo. And test in private window mode.

Temps are 30-35c when the youtube video plays. Software can absolutely restart a computer.

First, I compile code on this machine which is way more intense on the processor and memory. Second, I can play the same exact playlist with any other browser (I have tried three so far) and it works fine, no reboots.

To test this further, I let the entire playlist play (about six hours) on chrome, not a single restart. I play the exact same playlist with Brave and it restarts after one minute and 52 seconds.

Coding, compiling, running virtual machines and containers all works for 8-10 hours a day, it is not a temp problem.

Hello @robpi

make sure you use the latest version

not sure if that would help but give it a try

try to use private mode and if it work fine then maybe it’s extensions issue or you need to clear your cache
if it did not work try to create new profile and try again with that new profile and make sure to close the other profile window

hope that help and have a nice day :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.