Brave renders macos spotlight search unusable

Description of the issue:
How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Do any search in macOS Spotlight
  2. All searches (even obscure ones) will suggest a Brave search for the keyword. The Brave search will be the top pick in the search in almost all instances.
  3. In this way one will never get the wanted item at the top of the results which means you have to either pick up the mouse or do several extra keyclicks instead of just pressing enter.

Expected result:

Spotlight should not suggest a Brave search in every case. And not at all be the top pick.

Brave Version( check About Brave):

Version 1.40.105 Chromium: 103.0.5060.53 (Official Build) (x86_64)

Additional Information:

macos 12.1

@wiegell

In both screenshots, Spotlight is rebuilding the Spotlight search index.

Spotlight is almost constantly performing index work in the background, on an Apple device.

For your first search criteria, you entered: ‘iroensioraentoiearntieoarstieona’

Given that you probably have set Brave Browser to be the default Internet browser on your Mac computer, Spotlight figures on sending your query (especially of an unknown term not quickly found in the existing Spotlight index) . . . to external searching (in this case, via Brave Search, apparently) in addition to the routine internal searching of the Mac computer.

In your second screenshot, you searched for ‘freecad application’, and Spotlight found:

• FreeCAD.app (apparently installed on your Mac)
  • README.md (4 KB file)
  • README.md (4 KB file)

So, your issue with:

• Brave Search
  • Spotlight

seems to be more, the problem of how Spotlight displays its response and suggestions, and then, how that display affects the steps that you take to select a response, a suggestion.

Are you not able to use the TAB key, to move among those?

The index is rebuilding because i tried changing spotlight settings to overcome this problem (to no avail). Behavior is unchanged if index is fully build.
On further testing - this is atm. only happening to the FreeCAD application. But i would like to completely turn of the brave search in spotlight since i never use this and it’s only interfering.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.