Brave is currently completely broken on devices without Google Play Services

Troubleshooting technical issues is much easier when both the user and support agent practice clear communication. For this reason, we have provided the template below for you to fill out with information about your issue. Please provide as much detail as possible so we can most efficiently resolve your problem.

This issue has already been posted to GitHub here, but this is an extremely severe issue that impacts a large amount of people, and due to the volume of the GitHub requests, I want to make sure that this is seen by the Brave team, especially since there’s so far been no response from Brave.

Description of the issue: Recent versions of Google Play Services library used by numerous apps such as Chrome, Brave, and Waze now query for available Google accounts immediately on first start and will hang if Google Play services isn’t installed/available on the system.

How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Have a Google Play Services-free phone, such as one with CalyxOS (without microG), GrapheneOS (without Sandboxed Play), LineageOS (without gapps/microG), or DivestOS (without unpriv microG)
  2. Install Brave
  3. Start Brave
  4. It hangs at a white screen

Expected result: For it to start like previously.

Brave Version( check About Brave): v1.65.122 Stable, v1.66.90 Beta, v1.67.38 and v1.67.44 Nightly

Mobile Device details: Tested and replicated on various different devices, such as a Pixel 6a with GrapheneOS, as well as tested by SkewedZeppelin on his DivestOS, and confirmed by others in his community. I have also tested and confirmed the issue as well on my Pixel 7 Pro running GrapheneOS.

@Commend6197,
Thank you for reporting. I have a dev taking a look at this presently.

1 Like