Brave freezes when I try to watch a HTML5 video

Description of the issue:
When I try to watch a video the player stays black. When I close the tab or try to interact with the player, Brave freezes and crashes. On Netflix it freezes directly when i click a video on the pannel
How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Open a page with HTML5 player like Vivo or StreamTape and click on the player
  2. Then close the page or try to reload it

Expected result:
No crash and the player works

Brave Version( check About Brave):
Version 1.19.86 Chromium: 88.0.4324.96 (official build) (64-Bit)

Additional Information:
There were no problems with the previous version. I have already tried reinstalling Brave and doing it through the beta channel but it didn’t help. With other web browsers there is no problem.

Could you copy-paste the URL of a blocked video?

I have just uploaded a test video. I also noticed that the mentioned problem also occurs when I try to play videos stored on my PC via brave.

It works properly here.

I have reinstalled Windows today to make sure that no program or wrong setting is the cause but without success. What could be the cause or how can I help to analyze the problem?

@theplm,
Testing on my end, I also don’t see any issues when trying to view video content (using the site/video you referenced). Can you please try the following tests to help narrow down the cause of the issue?

1. Open a Private browsing window and visit the same video link you shared here. Does the video play as intended or do you get the same behavior? If you get the same issue, please try test number two below. If the video works, reply and let me know.
  2. Try disabling Hardware Acceleration in settings to see if this resolves the issue.
    You’ll find this in Settings --> Additional Settings --> System --> Hardware Acceleration

The 2nd point helped. Thanks a lot

1 Like

@theplm,
My pleasure, glad that did the trick! :+1: