Brave crypto wallet error after latest update

So we are conclusive that the keyring that handles legacy seeds generated on or before Brave Browser v1.0.26 is broken in the latest release. An overwhelming majority of you here are using this keyring, hence the errors.

This also means all other keyrings (Ledger, Trezor, Simple HD keyring) are NOT impacted. If you are in this category and still having issues, it’s probably due to an unrelated reason. I’ll be happy to follow up on that separately.

Kudos to @spielcrypto for finding a temporary workaround, however we don’t recommend doing that for security reasons as it exposes your key material in a form that encourages copying to clipboard (beware of clipboard hijackers!). If you’ve already used this workaround, I suggest going for what I’ve suggested below.

Recommended workaround

1. Download the Crypto Wallet v0.1.97 package from the official releases here. Click on ethereum-remote-client-brave-0.1.97.zip under Assets (direct link here). Verify that this comment is posted by a Brave staff. :slight_smile:
  2. Extract the archive to a directory on your machine.
  3. Click on Menu > Create a New Profile.
  4. Use whatever name you like for the profile: ex, Crypto Wallet v0.1.97. Click on Done. This will open a new window with a fresh profile that doesn’t pollute your regular browser settings.
  5. Click on Menu > Extensions.
  6. Enable Developer mode toggle. You’ll find it at the top-right corner.
  7. Click on Load unpacked.
  8. Select the directory of the downloaded package in step 2. This should add “Crypto Wallets” to the extensions.
  9. Go to Crypto Wallets (brave://wallet).
  10. Restore your 24-word mnemonic.
  11. Grab some beers, because you’re good to go!

Once a real fix is shipped (ETA is Monday), you’re free to delete this profile and continue using Crypto Wallet like nothing happened.

2 Likes