Brave crashing constantly after few minutes

Description of the issue:
I use Brave almost one year and everything was fine. But Brave starting to crash today every few minutes. It is impossible to use it. I susspect, but I dont know really, maybe that couse is in last Windows 10 update KB4560960 (for 1909-OS Build 18363.900) but I did that update few days ago and everythig was OK until today.

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3.

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):

Expected result:
To stop crashing browser.

Reproduces how often:
Every few minutes.

Operating System and Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu):
Windows 10, 1909-OS Build 18363.900

Additional Information:
Brave [Version 1.10.90 Chromium: 83.0.4103.97 (Official Build) (64-bit)

3 Likes

I have the same problem.
Any help?

1 Like

Nope, I notice this today.

I’m also experiencing this issue. Mac OS 10.15.5 (19F101). Brave Browser Version 1.10.90 Chromium: 83.0.4103.97 (Official Build) (64-bit)

This was happening to me constantly - Brave would launch and then crash immediately. I have the same Mac OS/browser configuration as you.

I read a few posts here on the same subject and had an inkling that Rewards was the culprit.

My solution was to go into the folder ~Library/Application Support/BraveSoftware/Brave-Browser/Default/ then find the directory /rewards_service and then I put a hash in front of the directory name and re-launched the browser from the Dock (keeping that Finder window open so I could see what was going on). I suspected the hash would force the application to generate a new directory.

Brave launched, a new rewards_service directory was created on launch and the browser didn’t crash. I then binned the hashed directory.

Caveat: I have never activated the Brave Rewards thing, I have no data stored against it so no potential loss to me.

Give it a go mate.

EDIT: Just crashed again - that was only a partial success dammit. I’m re-posting this with a Mac tag to see if anyone else has an idea.

I resolve it .

1. Exported bookmarks and passwords to another folder or desktop to save it.
  2. Uninstalled Brave
  3. Deleteed in Disc Cleanup>Temporary Internet Files and Temporary Files.
  4. Deleted folder from C:>Users>Userrname>AppData>Local>Brave.
  5. Reinstall Brave again,
  6. Import bookmarks and passwords again and
  7. It works perfect again!

I hope that it will work for you!

1 Like

I resolve it .

1. Exported bookmarks and passwords to another folder or desktop to save it.
  2. Uninstalled Brave
  3. Deleteed in Disc Cleanup>Temporary Internet Files and Temporary Files.
  4. Deleted folder from C:>Users>Userrname>AppData>Local>Brave.
  5. Reinstall Brave again,
  6. Import bookmarks and passwords again and
  7. It works perfect again!

Thank you! It seems to be working mine as well.
However, I could not retrieve my BAT’s from the previous version.
But thank you!

Sadly I don’t even get the time to export anything before it crashes again … :pensive:

Yep, I’m pissed.
All of my information is logged into Brave.
The browser won’t even open for me. Its permanently screwed up.
I can’t use it at all.
Truly upset about this. What the heck is going on?

Mine won’t even open for me to be able to export my bookmarks. This is really upsetting.

I am using Chrome right now. No privacy but at least it works xD

I tried this, and it did not work. Also switched to Brave Beta, which has the same problem. It worked okay for a day or so, but then went back to crashing.

Did you by chance enable sync via the brave://flags menu? If so, try setting it back to default and relaunching.

1 Like

Brave v1.10.93
Win10 V 1909 (OS Build 18363.900)
Was ready to roll back with a system restore, but wanted to test this first.

Disabled sync and Brave stopped crashing so far, looks promising - good find @clayb91! Thanks!

Thank you @clayb91, you just saved me. That was it. Now I’m back to Brave

I was having a similar problem after update last night on a MAC running OS 10.14.6 . I had changed some flags in the previous version and when I updated the browser It was constantly crashing but reseting the brave flags seems to have solved the crashing problem for me as well.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.