Youtube fullscreen subtitles

On iPad, when i open a Youtube video with subtitles enabled the subtitles disappear when switching to fullscreen. Is there a get around to regain subtitles in fullscreen? Has a solution been found for this problem?

Also, while i’m asking, why does the ability to skip forward and backward by 10 seconds only appear in fullscreen?

Thank you

3 Likes

This has been a longstanding issue on iOS (happening to me on iPhone). I tried going through Apple support and they were useless, saying they couldn’t replicate the problem themselves. I was able to duplicate the issue on other browsers too. Not sure if you want to test it out and see if it’s the same for you.

Not quite sure. Hopefully Mattches, Michal, or someone else from Brave will swing by to answer at some point. Maybe have insight on one or both of your concerns.

1 Like

Ok so following your advice these are the results for other iPadOS16 browsers opening m.youtube.com:

Orion iPadOS Youtube mobile: Ads blocked = YES; Fullscreen subtitles = YES

Brave iPadOS Youtube mobile: Ads blocked = YES; Fullscreen subtitles = NO

Qwant iPadOS Youtube mobile: Ads blocked = NO; Fullscreen subtitles = YES

Aloha iPadOS Youtube mobile: Ads blocked = YES/NO (less & seems to show black screen instead of playing add; Fullscreen subtitles = YES; 15s skip/fwd = YES

Gear iPadOS Youtube mobile: Ads blocked = NO; Fullscreen subtitles = YES

Firefox iPadOS Youtube mobile: Ads blocked = NO; Fullscreen subtitles = NO

Puffin iPadOS Youtube mobile: Ads blocked = NO; Fullscreen subtitles = NO

Dolphin iPadOS Youtube mobile: Ads blocked = YES (clicked 10 plus YT videos and no ads appeared); Fullscreen subtitles = ? Video would not go into fullscreen if subtitles was selected.

@Nap09 Not sure if you marked it as solution or if someone else did. In any case, it’s weird how it’s happening only on some browsers. Brave uses Chromium for most versions but for the iOS version, it’s built on Firefox. As you’re saying that it’s happening on Firefox as well, I’m guessing it’s something that’s happening upstream.

I’ll tag @michal to see if he can tell us whether it’s something that the devs can work on, if it’s something that has to come from upstream (and who upstream would be if that’s the case), or where we might stand on trying to get those captions on fullscreen.

Three more for you:
DuckDuckGo iPadOS Youtube mobile: Ads blocked = NO; Fullscreen subtitles = NO
Bing iPadOS Youtube mobile: Ads blocked = NO; Fullscreen subtitles = NO
Maxathon iPadOS Youtube mobile: Ads blocked = NO; Fullscreen subtitles = NO

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.