User agent contains "X11" instead of "Wayland"

Description of the issue:
The User agent is not set according to the Linux window system in use.

Steps to Reproduce
1. Enter “about:” in Brave URL field;
2. Inspect the value at User agent.

Actual Result
Value: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/84.0.4147.105 Safari/537.36.

Expected Result:
User agent should be Mozilla/5.0 (Wayland; Linux x86_64).

Reproduces how often:
Always

Brave Version:

• within browser: 1.11.104 | Chromium: 84.0.4147.105

• within terminal:

$ brave-browser --version
    Brave Browser 84.1.11.104

Reproducible on current live release:
Yes

Additional information:
I’m using Fedora 32, under Gnome on Wayland.

$ loginctl show-session `loginctl | sed -n 2p | awk '{print $1}'` -p Type
Type=wayland

it’s part of the Fingerprinting blocking that it random some stuff to make it harder to make Fingerprint about you

hope that help and have a nice day

If you believe brave works in that case as intended, the current report can already be closed.

you can wait till someone from brave team answer you

and have a nice day

In the tests i conducted, the user agents were static, be the platform Linux or Windows.

• User agents were identical under Gnome both on Wayland and X:

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/84.0.4147.105 Safari/537.36

• On Windows 7 SP1:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/84.0.4147.105 Safari/537.36

i double check this and i notice that the user agent is fixed you right sorry for my miss understanding

check this one User agent in ios reported as Firefox 14

check the replay from the team member

Good to know. Then on Android and desktops (be they macOS, Unix/Linux, Windows), Brave uses Chrome UA user agent as role of mask, which is confirmed in my tests at https://www.whatismybrowser.com/.

Brave_1.11.104_Chromium:_84.0.4147.105_whatismybrowser.com_1

Nevertheless the interpretation of the window system is there too incorrect.

Brave_1.11.104_Chromium:_84.0.4147.105_whatismybrowser.com_2

i think that so they hide user behind the huge user pool of chrome

if they used brave as user agent and as there still not huge precentage of brave user that could reduce the fingerprint protection

and have a nice day

The mention “X11” reported both under X11 and Wayland window systems tends to indicate that unlike Chrome UA, it does not have role of mask but is rather a misinterpretation indicating an issue.

May be @Mattches will help you solving the issue

please check this to see that chrome always report that

same site you mentioned earlier

and brave is based on chrome

so that why they both use the same user agent and that why also brave used that to help hiding behind chrome

try to check the usage percentage of opera on linux and that will be very small which will make it easier to fingerprint you

hope that make it clear and have a nice day

The only package that is available in Fedora’s repository -chromium- is then the one i installed to perform that check. To execute to launch it: chromium-browser.

Like in Brave at brave://extensions/, at chrome://extensions/ the extension Fedora User Agent is present by default and alone in that page. Though unlike in Brave, it works there as intended by modifying the User-Agent string to contain the name of Fedora Linux distribution.

Enter chrome://version/ in URL field. Reported User Agent:

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Fedora; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/84.0.4147.89 Safari/537.36.

Linux_Chromium:_84.0.4147.89_whatismybrowser.com

first you complain about x11 /wayland then now your chrome show the same then now you talking about missing fedora os

which i said those fixed x11 cause to be looks like chrome

and your screen shoot is not the standard chrome
where did you installed that chrome from if it from fedora software store which i think it’s then it’s not the standard one
if it from snap or flathub then it’s not also the standard one in the link i sent
say that Chrome (Standard) * Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/84.0.4147.105 Safari/537.36

no fedora or any dist preference mentioned

how i think it’s not standard cause the little fedora icon in your screen shoot

i really do not understand what is your issue and how that affect you

if those x11/wayland or fedora stuff effect you in any way then explain it

thanks for insulting me

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.