Unable to open click through links in emails with *.app or *.app.link

Some Hot-Links from Emails refuse to open in Brave - Clicking them opens Brave but only these brackets appear top left “{}” and the page does not redirect to the proper page as it would with other browsers (Edge in this case)

There have been multiple sites affected now - including
https://sofi.app.link/ - which is supposed to redirect to https://login.sofi.com/u/login?state=********** (where the * represents specifics in the redirect)

I’ve adjusted Shields Up/Down settings to no avail - even enabled javascript globally

With Shields Down link still does not work - no change in behavior.

I could not find any configuration that would allow pages with this issue to load - only option is to open in another browser then copy the redirect link and open that link in Brave

I am able to open in Edge Browser (I removed Chrome and other browsers a long time ago - but can use edge since it can’t be removed - for testing like this)

Brave Version: Version 1.49.120 Chromium: 111.0.5563.64 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Anyone with any thoughts on this?

2 Likes

Hi there @2loki4u accept my apologies for this inconvenience. Try creating a new profile by going to main menu > create a new profile, then try opening one of those links to see if they open properly.

Be waiting for your response.

I too have been seeing this same issue for the past week. To reiterate, it will often happen when clicking on a link in an email (gmail) and a page will appear that is completely blank except for “{}” at the top left. I can do the same process on a different browser and it works fine.

I have reinstalled Brave and created a new profile, neither of which changed the behavior.

This is an example of a link from an NBC News email that fails in Brave but works in Firefox . I have tried it in a regular and private window and on 2 different computers running Windows 10. All tries fail in the same manner:

< https://links.nbcnews.com/click/30986978.269514/aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cubmJjbmV3cy5jb20vbmV3cy91cy1uZXdzL3NlcmlhbC1tdXJkZXItY2FzZS1hZG5hbi1zeWVkLWNvbnZpY3Rpb24tcmVpbnN0YXRlZC1yY25hNzcwNjA_Y2lkPWVtbF9uYm5fMjAyMzAzMjgmdXNlcl9lbWFpbD1hZGVjYTViYzBkMTYwYWE4YTM1NzI4ZjJmOGU3ZGIzODdjNjc2NTAyZTRjYWI1OWQzYTI4YjVlNzAwZjdmNmQ4JnV0bV9jYW1wYWlnbj1icmVha2luZ25ld3M/57c0956d487ccd56218b59a6C19308c16 >

2 Likes

I can confirm - this is the same issue I was describing… Thanks for sharing!

Now if only someone at BRAVE Dev will do something about it!!!

2 Likes

@rm135 @2loki4u Please try installing the Beta or Nightly version of Brave to see if the issue persists on those versions.

I just noticed a change. The link I supplied yesterday now responds with an actual error message. Will look into this when I get a moment …

This page isn’t working

nbcnews.app.link redirected you too many times.

ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS

1 Like

Do you have any filters enabled on your shields settings?

I don’t - and I am now getting the same message “too many redirects” - but i haven’t upgraded to the nightly or beta version yet - as this is my primary machine and i’ve been slammed

1 Like

I’ve never gotten involved with filters. Just now looked at them and there was 1 set, so I turned it off, no change.

1 Like

Please try installing them on your device to see if the error persist on that version…

please don’t flame me for this - but i just don’t have the bandwidth to keep searching (time wise) - where’s the wiki on how to get the beta or nightly build - spent 10mins stumbling around on git hub and couldn’t find it…

1 Like

@2loki4u if you are on Windows, just click on the link and a button that says Download beta for Windows will displayed on the page, after you download it, complete the installation path to see if the issue persist there.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.