Unable to install

I had brave on my computer, Windows 7, but I removed it and want to reinstall it. But every time I try to install it I get either error 0x8004070c, or the message “there is no update available” (in dutch, why, windows is in English). Googling this gives a hint to disable virusscanner, that does not make a difference.
Also weird is that in the process of downloading the installer I received three different files on different occasions: BraveBrowserSetup.exe, BraveBrowserSetup-BRV030.exe and BraveBrowserSetup-OST765.exe. They all appear to be the same.

But why won’t Brave install?

Hi MaartenD. I looked up the status of Brave support for Windows 7 and it seems unforunately Google has dropped Chromium support for Windows 7 (Chromium is the browser upon which Brave is built on) since January 23, 2023. I also found this link to a similar question by another user on this forum:

I would highly suggest updating from Windows 7 to Windows 10 or 11, as Windows 7 is extremely insecure as an OS, and any browsers that work on Windows 7 are equally insecure due to being out of software support.

1 Like

A bit odd that there is only this cryptic message. Brave was working fine before I uninstalled it, so it should be able to install again. If it really is this issue, why does the Brave team not put in a proper message saying why it will not install. Again, if it is this issue, they know about it.

I downloaded that link, the installer is a different size, but it still either gives the error 0x8004070c, or the message “there is no update available” .

The error code 0x8004070c is described here for Google Chrome https://www.thewindowsclub.com/chrome-installation-failed-error-code-0x8004070c

Since Brave is built on top of Google Chrome the directions should follow a similar method.

However since we are dealing with Brave (not Google Chrome) in order to delete those residual files you would need to follow special instructions.

Though you might want to make a back up of your History and Bookmarks and Preferences file.

Directions To make a Back Up Of Bookmarks/History/Preferences:

To do this open File Explorer and type into the directory bar:
%LOCALAPPDATA%\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\User Data\Default
Locate three files in this folder named:

History