Pdf will not open in built in viewer

Attempting to open pdf file on one particular website results in error
PDF.js v2.0.673 (build: 31012570)

The website is to load a bill from an insurance company. Their support is useless–they say “Use Internet Explorer”

This does work in Chromium, so I was hoping it would be workable in Brave. I am ready to leave Firefox. It does not work in Firefox.

I know you can’t be responsible for compatibility with every website, but was hoping for a hint to troubleshoot. Have not found any way to open pdfs in system pdf viewer either, which might be another approach.

I believe the pdf in question is being created on the fly from their database. UbuntuMate 18.04 LTS Brave 0.66.99

1 Like

@charlesnix,
Thanks for reaching out.
It won’t open in the built in viewer but are you able to download it by chance?

To download, I would usually “save link as”, and I assume that is what you mean. The only thing I get from that is pageload.html, not the pdf. As I understand it, that is because the pdf doesn’t even exist until after the button is clicked.

If it helps, in firefox, all I get from a save link as is pageload.asp (note asp instead of html), and a note saying wait to load. In Brave, I get a new tab, and the error
PDF.js v2.0.673 (build: 31012570)

Since I understand you share the same engine with chromium, it may help to know it works perfectly there.

Perhaps some progress: I found the settings > site settings > PDF documents setting and turned it to download instead of opening in Brave.

Now I get a blank screen with the file name and an “Open” button.

Clicking the open button opens yet another tab with a completely white blank screen. I have also been unable to find an on-disk copy of the named pdf file.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.