Ok, here's how Brave DESTROYS the competition!

I am not very technically-gifted (code wise) so I have no clue if this could be done, but conceptually I don’t see why not.

Keyboard fingerprint - something which concerns me a fair bit. While we are focussed on browser fingerprints (rightly, heavily!), ‘the enemy’ is focussed on other matters to be ahead of us if they lose the battle (Brave just might make them fear such things!)

Keyboard/Keystroke fingerprinting is pretty damn easy to do, and effective.

I have lost count of how many times i have HAD to post on forums/sites I wouldn’t otherwise touch with a barge pole. In such cases I try to remember to type in a text doc then paste to the live webpage, but I forget sometimes. It just occurred to me, after reading how Brave is really taking the fight to the enemies of privacy, this could surely be implemented WITHIN a browser, perhaps?

I had ideas for getting a friend to code an extension to do something like this but I don’t want any extensions (for fingerprinting reasons) so it occurred to me to suggest it here instead.

Of course WHAT people type will always be fairly unique to them, but their keystrokes and keyboard patterns needn’t be. I am thinking of a feature/setting which, when activated, basically just destroys/randomizes any such keyboard fingerprint, perhaps by minisucule random delays between each character entry to make all Brave users appear to have similarly randomized keystroke patterns.

Well, there you go. This is the part where someone either calls me a genius and puts me forward for a nobel prize, or tells me I am the dumber member of dumb and dumber. :smiley:

Love to hear any thoughts. Dang I would PAY for such a feature!

Maybe I am missing the picture. But I don’t see how fingerprinting can be relevant, unless you are talking about typing password.

If I write “I am happy” and you write “I am happy”, the pattern is the same and it only strongly linked to the language we are using, not to any personal behaviour.
Even if you copy&paste, the text is still the same.

If you are concerned about what/how you type in the web, let me explain one thing. You type on the client side, and only when you press the submit button the data is transmitted to the server. So, no difference if you type or if you paste, the transmitted data is exactly the same. And nowadays almost every website uses encryption.

If you are concerned about any monitoring tool in your device, then there is absolutely no difference if you are writing it in a document or in a webpage. The tool is able to monitor whatever you type.

But, since I am quite sure I am missing your view, I would like to hear other opinions.

Sorry, you’re wrong on several points.

“You type on the client side” - If you run a website as I do, and use Google Analytics (as most do), you can see incredible detail of user behaviour, including “hot zones” where there mouse pointer MOVED on the webpage while they were reading! And tons more.

Keyboard biometrics are real. My own bank (HSBC UK) TELLS me it’s using it whenever i log in, it tells me to enter something (password or other things) and says on the screen it is using my “keyboard biometric information” to determine ‘if its me’!

I have no doubt that this is being done on a massive scale by the likes of G, FB and all the other evil monolithic behaviour analysis ‘companies’ (government extensions more like, not an opinion that by the way).

You know about Javascript i assume? you know about Facebook inserted code on (nearly all) websites, that can track a lot of data. Since keyboard biometrics are a thing, there’s no doubt it’s in use, and I like to defend against it as it is perhaps the easiest and most accurate way to truly fingerprint users, and certainly will be if not already (in my opinion).

I accept it’s not exactly widely known or commonly discussed, but that’s precisely why I am more concerned about it than browser fingerprinting (though I am concerned about that!)

For a brief explanation of what it actually is, this covers it (not brilliantly, but sufficiently): https://www.tripwire.com/state-of-security/security-awareness/how-to-bust-keyboard-biometrics-and-why-you-might-want-to/

So… if you re-read my OP after this one, hopefully it makes more sense! :slight_smile: thanks