NOTICE: Unexplained Data Loss Issue

Case 1:
Brave: Version 1.51.110 Chromium: 113.0.5672.77 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Today, I updated Tumbleweed which included Brave 1.51.110. After a reboot, following the update, I found that all the saved passwords were missing from brave://settings/passwords.

No password manager extension was used.
I have never used the Sync feature.

On this PC, Brave is usually invoked from a script with the following command line arguments:
exec /usr/bin/brave-browser-stable --password-store=kwallet5 --process-per-site --profile-directory='Default' "$@"

I used the sqlitebrowser program to view ~/.config/BraveSoftware/Brave-Browser/Default/Login Data and I found that all of the missing password entries were still in the database.

Case 2:
Brave: Version 1.51.110 Chromium: 113.0.5672.77 (Official Build) (64-bit)

I tried the same update on a second PC. On this PC, rather than doing a reboot after the update, I logged out, logged in again, and then restarted Brave. As with Case 1, all saved passwords went missing from the password manager page.

No password manager extension was used.
I have never used the Sync feature.

On this PC, Brave is invoked with the following command line:
/usr/bin/brave-browser-stable

I used the sqlitebrowser program to view ~/.config/BraveSoftware/Brave-Browser/Default/Login Data and I found that all of the missing password entries were still in the database.

Also, before updating this PC, I exported the Brave saved passwords to a file as a precaution. Then, after confirming that the update lost all of the saved passwords, I used the exported file to successfully restore the passwords.

Thank you, I greatly appreciate your efforts to resolve this issue.

2 Likes