Taken from our BAT Community page:
Hi everybody, first, very sorry for the confusion here. As many of you have guessed, this is related to 5th of the month. Ads rewards payouts are getting processed for users today. As part of that, the counter will reset to ad views/earnings for the next cycle. However, there is a known issue where some “uncashed in” payment receipts are not reflected as part of that total (https://github.com/brave/brave-browser/issues/4008) and it will be hot fixed to all channels this week. Important to note that no BAT is lost in this case.
Also, because of the way payment receipts are cashed in with a delay, some ads seen in the last month will actually be paid on the next cycle. So if you opted in late last month (as in with the release channel ads), your first ads payment may not be until next month.
— Jimmy Secretan , Vice President of Services & Operations at Brave
How Brave Ads payouts work in detail
Because of the advanced, privacy-preserving protocol for “ad confirmations” (detailed here) that allows Brave to reward you for your ad views without knowing which specific ads you have seen, it can sometimes be unclear how your accumulated earnings will be made available to claim into your Brave Rewards wallet. Here are some points to help clarify:
- You can see your estimated ad earnings accumulating for the current earnings cycle in your rewards settings page (brave://rewards/).
- On the 5th of every month (at 12:01am), the estimated ad earnings / notifications tracker will reset.
- Ads earnings will be available to claim into your wallet once a month, usually on or before the 5th of the month. However, given time zone differences, it’s usually best to give it a day or two before reaching out to support.
- You may not receive an ad payment during your first month, especially if you first opted into Brave Ads late in the previous month. This is because the “payment receipts” that ensure you receive credit for ad engagement are sent at randomized time intervals after ads are viewed (usually a week or more later) in order to help preserve your privacy.
- Any ads payments you do not receive because of this payment receipt timing will follow on the 5th of the next month.
- At present, there is an issue which will be hotfixed the week of May 6th that will show uncashed “payment receipts” as part of your running total to more accurately reflect what you should expect to receive in the next payment cycle (https://github.com/brave/brave-browser/issues/4008). It is important to note that even when totals reset on the 5th, no BAT is lost and will be paid out in the next cycle.
Update: Your BAT earnings will not expire. Expiration dates are simply a display bug and will also be removed with the upcoming hotfix.
Update 2: If you find that hotfix v0.63.55 did not resolve your specific issue concerning Brave Ads earnings:
- Please let us know (kindly ) and provide as many relevant details as you can.
- We are already addressing additional/edge cases and will roll out new hotfixes to capture all such cases. Thank you for your patience and I will do my best to update this thread when more information is available.