Is it possible to have a custom photo in the profile icon in the top right of Brave?

The path’s a little different in MacOS:
/Users/YourUserName/Library/Application Support/BraveSoftware/Brave-Browser/Avatars

There may be an extra layer in mine since I have main, Beta, and Dev all installed and they each have a folder in BraveSoftware folder.

¡Suerte!

Update: Looks like you have to keep the image name. For example, I had avatar_generic_orange.png as my profile image. I moved that, put the image I wanted in the Avatars directory, renamed it avatar_generic_orange.png, restarted Brave, and boom, now my desired pic is the icon! Thanks for the tip, @Marcel!

2 Likes

That worked!!! Thank you for both the Mac and the PC equivalents! (I run in both environments).

2 Likes

I get a red image. It is not working. I already made a post about this but it still doesn’t work after using these instructions.
Any tips or can someone tell what I did wrong…
=>previous post: Profile picture (right corner)

I just tried it in Windows 10 Brave 0.61.51 Chromium: 73.0.3683.75 (Official Build) (64-bit), making sure the image was relatively square in the default PNG viewer.

So, I’m guessing it’s something with the file name and/or format. If you look at the file properties, clicking on Details tab, does it say it’s really a PNG? Maybe try closing Brave, double-clicking the pic you stuck in there in File Explorer, crop it in the viewer, save making sure it’s in PNG format, and open Brave again. Or maybe try with one of the other ones, making a backup copy first, of course. I notice that while the avatars included are 190x190, other sizes work, but best results from square images.

@MVC Any luck with the custom image thing?

2 Likes

Details of the PNG file:

NOW IT IS WORKING, THANKS EVERYONE.

SOLUTION:
I changed the file type from .jpeg or .jpg TO .png using the edit file name option (right click and change ‘file name’) in windows explorer. This is not a real file converter. I just used convertio.co to convert the .jpg to .png and now it is working.

Thanks to everyone who helped me out.

1 Like

This seems like a convoluted way to change the avatar, why not have a Gravatar option? Or just an upload option? (I know I’m simplifying this but can it be that hard?)

4 Likes

Linux location:
/home/<USER>/.config/BraveSoftware/Brave-Browser/Avatars/

2 Likes

I can’t find the folder where the avatars are stored? There is no folder for the Brave browser in the folder where it should be. Also, how do I import my bookmarks from Google Chrome? When I try doing it it imports from the wrong Google account and I can’t change this.
If anyone could help that would be appreciated thanks :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Menu → Bookmarks → Import bookmarks and settnigs
or just brave://settings/importData

@Marcel
Thanks, that worked for me.:grinning:

So I can’t even pick an avatar at all - when I click on the grey default avatar in the upper right and then click on the name, it just takes me to the general settings page.

If I try to add a Person 2, it does allow me to select an avatar then, but I can’t seem to change that either.

Has something moved or been changed?

1 Like

@carol and anyone else in this thread – we’re aware that there are some issues with this menu right now. We are currently deciding the best methodology to move forward here but regardless, it’s highly likely that most if not all the features that come standard with the Chromium profile options will be fixed/restored/included in final implementation.

We appreciate your patience.

1 Like

Thanks for your quick update and transparency – I thought it was just me missing the setting as I read all of these posts :woman_facepalming: Great to hear that decisions are being made, and thanks for all your work on this!

Hi, @carol. The key here is that you replace the .png that is your existing avatar with the one you prefer, but at the Finder/Explorer level, not with Brave. If that isn’t clicking, let me know via post or direct/private message and I’ll see what I can do to help (Windows or Mac, I use both and Linux to boot (heh)).

Thanks, @hnktong, but my issue is actually that I can’t pull up the menu to select a new avatar at all – I would be fine with just being able to pick a non-blank/grey alternative.

So you’re saying there’s not even this showing (less the file name below it)?

If your avatar looks like that, then the instructions here apply. If there’s absolutely nothing there, then it sounds like Brave is not pointing the profile avatar field to any graphic file.

BTW, @carol @Mattches, I can’t call up the Profile Manager, either, on Mac or Windows in latest Nightly build, even using brave://settings/manageProfile. Is there another shortcut? Or is that one of the issues you mentioned?

Hi @hnktong ! I think it is exactly related to how you can’t call up the profile manager.

Relating to my original ‘want’ of trying to change the profie avatar to anything else, not necessarily custom:

1. Yes, my avatar looks like that little grey guy. Clicking on it and then clicking on “Person 1” leads me to the Settings page, where I believe it is supposed to open the profile manager. The browser bar does flash brave://settings/manageprofile before it redirects to settings. I’m on version 0.65.121, which is just what I downloaded from the site. I don’t believe it’s a nightly or beta?

2. There is nothing in my %LOCALAPPDATA%\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\User Data\Avatars folder other than a watermelon avatar I was able to pick when I tested setting up a new Person 2. My generic Person 1 avatar isn’t ever being “selected” and thus isn’t ever being created in there, I believe.

I’d exit Brave and try dropping an image of your choice in PNG format named Person 1.png in the Avatars folder and see what happens. Omit the space if the person 2 one does.

That actually isn’t what I cared about doing at all originally :joy: I just wanted to access the Profile Manager.