iOS: Brave crashing every few minutes

On the latest iOS, on an iPad Pro.

Brave v1.9.2

Brave is crashing every few minutes. Doesn’t appear to be a pattern to it. I’m experiencing the crashes regardless of whether I’m using 1-3 tabs or +10. Experiencing across many different domains, and not specific to a certain type of site. For example, crashed while using gmail within the browser, and also while I was on a e-commerce site, publisher domain, etc.

Would suggest making this a priority if we’re seeing others experiencing it. It’s biting really hard, with the crashes being frequent and frustrating enough to seriously impact usability.

Given that the root cause has been tough to diagnose from the device without a proper debugging, and that I’m not near a computer that would help for proper debugging, I’m posting here while the issue is fresh. If I had more material info, I would open an issue in GH, but maybe others are experiencing this as well and have some additional info.

Brave does recognize the crash when the browser is re-opened. Snapped a screenshot of that. Also snapped a screenshot of my browser version with the full version number in case that proves to be helpful.

Cc: @gsarvadnya @Mattches @sriram @anon1255531 in case you all see additional reports of this. It’s a nasty, frequent crash. I updated to the latest version of Brave yesterday and did not experience this on the previous version released.

4 Likes

@luke.mulks it is nice to see an employee spot a bug and post it on the community.

2 Likes

@luke.mulks,
Thanks for the report – I’m pinning this post to the top of the #support-and-troubleshooting:mobile-support category for better visibility.

Will keep an eye out for other users reporting iOS crashes.

1 Like

I am also experiencing this issue. How could I provide logs to help assist debugging the issue?

1 Like

Description of the issue:
Brave 1.9.2 (19.05.08.23) crashes frequently on iOS 12.3

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary):

1. Browse websites
  2. Brave crashes intermittently

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):
Brave crashes. When reopened, Brave offers to restore tabs.

Expected result:
Brave doesn’t crash.

Reproduces how often:
Approx. every 5-10 minutes.

Brave Version(See the About Brave page in Settings):
Version 1.9.2 (19.05.08.23)

Mobile Device details
iPhone 8

Android/iOS Version

Additional Information:
Have only recently installed Brave so can’t compare to previous versions.

There doesn’t seem to be any obvious reason why Brave crashes out but it does seem to happen consistently on a few sites. One is jbhifi.com.au where Brave will become unresponsive almost immediately on attempting page load and then crash within 30-60 seconds.

3 Likes

Same here, same versions and phone, etc.

1 Like

Happens to me as well.

Iphone 8 plus,

IOS 12.2
Version 1.9.2 (19.05.08.23)

1 Like

I’ve just started seeing the same thing in the past day after I upgraded my iPhone XS to IOS 12.3.

There don’t seem to be any obvious sites that crash it, but I always have more than one tab open when it happens. It seems like it has been happening within 5 minutes of use or less.

1 Like

@KittyCommander @htranviet @Corbhino @itgrrl it has been noted and would be dealt with quickly. @Mattches similar post

1 Like

Hello!
I’ve merged this (and other) threads reporting this bug into a master thread to consolidate and capture data surrounding it. Thank you for anyone reporting the bug and providing any information that may assist is in resolving it.

Description of the issue:
Browser crashes 100% of time on this page.
Cycling page

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary):

1. Open that page. Scroll down.
    2.crash.

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):
Crash
Expected result:
Not a crash
Reproduces how often:
100%
Brave Version(See the About Brave page in Settings):
Mobile Device details
iPhone XS Max
Android/iOS Version
Additional Information:

1 Like

Same here, iPhone 8 Plus, Brave Version 1.9.2, iOS 12.3.

Sites this happens frequently:

• StackOverflow
  • Github (Desktop view)
  • Presearch results page

HTH.

1 Like

same issue, sporadic crashing:

brave 1.9.2 (19.05.08.23)

iOS 12.3 (16F156)

iPhone 6S plus MKW72LL/A1634

1 Like

Getting the same thing here
iPhone 8
iOS 12.2
Did the brave update and it crashes -constantly- and its incredibly frustrating

1 Like

We are investigating the issue and have some fix for it already, it just needs some more time to test it.
Apparently after we have upgraded to newer version of Xcode and Swift, some parts of the app are misbehaving.

I’m running the app on development build and so far after 1 hour of browsing, no crashes or hangups for me

We also paused the 1.9.2 release so people who did not update won’t experience those crashes.
I will inform you once the new fixed version is released, sorry for the problems

4 Likes

Brave craches every time.
I use the newest version on iOS 12.3 with an iPad Air 2.

1 Like

The update to 1.9.3 seems to have resolved the issue for me. The cycling page I previously referenced loads and scrolls just fine. No crash.

Thanks! :grinning:

3 Likes

Glad it’s working for you :slight_smile:
Yes, the 1.9.3 update should fix all the crashes.
If you have that bugged 1.9.2 release, please go to App Store and refresh to see if there is an update ready(we are doing phased starting with 1% of devices)

If you have Brave 1.9.1 or earlier I suggest waiting few days to see if users are still reporting problems, then feel free to update the app.

If you still experiences crashes, please post in this thread and give us an example URL that causes it.

Sorry for problems, this bug was really unexpected(caused by minor Swift update 4.0 to 4.2)

4 Likes

@michal welcome to the community. You aren’t too active here so welcome from me and everyone.

Thanks for reporting this!