Error: Brave Rewards profile is flagged... why?

My account has been showing this error for a few weeks. When will it be resolved? Thanks.

Error: Brave Rewards profile is flagged

Unfortunately, your Brave Rewards profile has been flagged, and you’re not able to verify with a custodian at this time. This flag can sometimes be due to irregular Brave Ads activity, though it can also be a false positive.

Note that while your Brave Rewards profile is flagged, you won’t be able to verify.

No action is required on your part. Your Brave Rewards profile will be automatically reevaluated on a regular basis to determine when (or if) the flag can be removed. Please try again every so often to see if the flag has been removed.

Learn more about Brave’s process for flagging Rewards profiles.

Any violation of Brave’s Terms can result in your account being flagged. You can find their Terms of Service for Brave Rewards at https://basicattentiontoken.org/user-terms-of-service/ 6

Some quick examples of things that often result in flagged accounts can be:

• Using a VPN, Proxy Server, or other such thing to hide or fake your location. This is because it can be seen as you trying to bypass ad restrictions. Remember, advertisers pay so content is shown to specific regions. When you appear to be in a region you’re not, it is taking advantage of the system to see ads and receive BAT you shouldn’t be getting.

• Modifying folders. There are some things you’re encouraged to do but some people do dig deep and try modifying folders that affect your encryption key OR where Users think they can fool the system into thinking they’ve seen more ads or have more BAT in their browser than they really do. Whether intentional or accidental, messing with the wrong things will get your account flagged.

• Your setup sends mixed information to Brave. For example, maybe you’re in the United States. Your IP address shows you in California, your language is English-IN, and your time zone is correct. This will tell Brave you should see ads from India but then it sees that you’re actually in California. At this point it will think you’re trying to trick the system to see more ads and might flag you. If nothing else, it can result in you not getting BAT for ads that you do see.

• Cloning your browser. Some people have learned how to do unofficial backup & restore and have the “great idea” that they can make multiple copies of the same browser on different devices and then Verify them with a custodial wallet like Uphold or Gemini. The system recognizes this and will flag the account and prevent anything from happening. Of course, even if unintentional, creating two exact copies of the browser and encryption key will be seen as attempting to do this and will flag you. So never have two identical copies of the browser running.

• Uphold or Gemini identifies your account as fraudulent and/or there’s a violation of laws.

• Any other type of suspicious activity is recognized by the system or Brave staff.

That said, just like people, the system isn’t flawless and mistakes can happen. If you haven’t done anything wrong, you can always create a ticket.

Do raise a ticket Here.

Is “region” for the US based on State or Country. I use a VPN and they do not have an entry point for the State I live in. I live in TN and have to connect thru GA. I have multiple machines, some are verified and this one is not. I tried to re-verify without VPN and the same result happens. I can not get an answer from them(I have a support ticket number, but I do not know how to look it up). I have re-verified with uphold and answered their CDD(or whatever those questions are called). Seeing how I have other machines(one is also using the same VPN provider) that are verified, I do not see why this one can not be un-flagged. I just can’t get an answer on “why” and if what I did satisfied their requirements.

Yea atleast for Uphold. For Uphold New York State is not supported atleast for now. Gemini still does support though. Don’t know how much applicable to you since you’re from Tennessee.
You could’ve been flagged because you use a VPN. If you’ve raised a ticket, you’ll get the ticket number in an email on the email I’d you provided while filling out the Ticket.

I’ve re-verified with uphold with my current state(license, proof of address, etc). I’ve answered the CDD(or whatever) questions. My only guess is its 1 of 2 things. VPN, since Proton does not have a node for TN, I am stuck using GA right now(filing a support ticket with them to see if they can add a node) or I read somewhere about auto refreshing. I have HiveOs, MSOS, Thunderhub, Zergpool, Zpool, Flexpool, Machinaris dashboards and Twitter open all the time, they refresh, could that be the culprit?

Just trying to figure out “why” so I can do the “how” to fix it. Seeing I have a ticket but no way of viewing the status of that ticket, the answer I am extrapolating is just “wait and see”, which is a sucky answer, but oh well.

I literally don’t understand what you’re trying to say. You able to find the ticket number? Go to the email id you gave when filing the ticket.
Once an agent is appointed they’ll get in contact with you.

I have the email, I have the ticket number, but I have no way(or at least I am unaware) of viewing/updating the ticket. I “assumed” it was a “wait for a response” type deal, but when they say it may take few days and its been 10+ and nothing from them, its frustrating.

yea, they are getting slow on replying since a lot of tickets have been coming in lately. lets see if tagging @SaltyBanana expedites the process. lol

@SaltyBanana here

Could you kindly send me a DM of your ticket number and I can take a closer look.

Thanks!

1 Like

I understand that they probably are dealing with a lot of tickets, and can relate. I am not asking for “special” handling. While I do appreciate the assistance by tagging support, I just want to know how I can view/update my ticket to give support all the information they might need to assist me in fixing the issue(some of which I discovered researching after the ticket was created), which, I assume, is due to something I am doing that they don’t like. Easy fix, just don’t do whatever that is, but I need to know what not to do. A blanket statement saying these are the things that “may” get you flagged, along with a notice that it may be a false positive, leaves me clueless.

Thank for your assistance, I think this is just going to be put on the back burner until they can get around to address the ticket I created as its all guessing right now.

Sent, sorry didn’t see this until after I posted my last response

They stopped telling the reasons for flagging cause people who got flagged then tried to find loop holes around them and exploit rewards again.

That leaves us legitimate users to suffer for the jagoffs actions, although understandable, we need a mechanism that works for the non-devious folk, or at least a way to pro-actively validate we are not attempting to scam the system.

That will be a lot of work to put into place such a system. I don’t know if its even necessary to do this.

I forgot to add this earlier, I guess I’ll do it anyway.
Any violation of Brave’s Terms can result in your account being flagged. You can find their Terms of Service for Brave Rewards at https://basicattentiontoken.org/user-terms-of-service/

Some quick examples of things that often result in flagged accounts can be:

• Using a VPN, Proxy Server, or other such thing to hide or fake your location. This is because it can be seen as you trying to bypass ad restrictions. Remember, advertisers pay so content is shown to specific regions. When you appear to be in a region you’re not, it is taking advantage of the system to see ads and receive BAT you shouldn’t be getting.
  • Modifying folders. There are some things you’re encouraged to do but some people do dig deep and try modifying folders that affect your encryption key OR where Users think they can fool the system into thinking they’ve seen more ads or have more BAT in their browser than they really do. Whether intentional or accidental, messing with the wrong things will get your account flagged.
  • Your setup sends mixed information to Brave. For example, maybe you’re in the United States. Your IP address shows you in California, your language is English-IN, and your time zone is correct. This will tell Brave you should see ads from India but then it sees that you’re actually in California. At this point it will think you’re trying to trick the system to see more ads and might flag you. If nothing else, it can result in you not getting BAT for ads that you do see.
  • Cloning your browser. Some people have learned how to do unofficial backup & restore and have the “great idea” that they can make multiple copies of the same browser on different devices and then Verify them with a custodial wallet like Uphold or Gemini. The system recognizes this and will flag the account and prevent anything from happening. Of course, even if unintentional, creating two exact copies of the browser and encryption key will be seen as attempting to do this and will flag you. So never have two identical copies of the browser running.
  • Uphold or Gemini identifies your account as fraudulent and/or there’s a violation of laws.
  • Any other type of suspicious activity is recognized by the system or Brave staff.

That said, just like people, the system isn’t flawless and mistakes can happen. If you haven’t done anything wrong, you can always create a ticket as instructed in

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.