Can not install brave browser on mint

I just installed linux mint and I have followed all the command line instructions from your installation page. All went well, no errors. The last command gave this error.
sudo apt install brave-browser
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
E: Unable to locate package brave-browser
Before I started I clicked on download but nothing downloaded so I followed the command line. Any help greatly appreciated.

Description of the issue:
How can this issue be reproduced?

Expected result:

Brave Version( check About Brave):

Additional Information:

Welcome to the forum.

Did you do all the prior steps in the instructions as well?

The initial several steps add Brave’s package repo to your package manager. The package manager won’t be able to find the browser package if it doesn’t know to look there.

If you did already do those steps then something in there probably failed; please repeat them and let us know what the errors/output look like. Once you get past those bits then I suspect you’ll be good to go.

Will do! I’ll start with the first command line. Thanks…

Same result. I even searched for brave browser in mintinstall. not there.

Hit:8 https://brave-browser-apt-beta.s3.brave.com stable InRelease
Hit:10 https://brave-browser-apt-release.s3.brave.com stable InRelease
Building dependency tree
All packages are up to date.
unknown@unknown-HP-2000-Notebook-PC:~$ sudo apt install brave-browser
Building dependency tree
E: Unable to locate package brave-browser

Not totally sure. It looks like it’s reading the repos, at least.

What version of Mint is it?

Also, it looks like both the Beta and Release repos are installed, is that intentional? If not, maybe try removing the Beta one. Not 100% sure but I think if you just remove the repo entry, something like this, maybe will do it: rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/brave-browser-beta.list

And then repeat the sudo apt update and sudo apt install brave-browser

I am alo new to Linux OS. I also like you started with Mint.
In download section of Brave website. Go to first part where debain, ubuntu, mint is writtem. There copy the first line, paste it in terminal and click enter. Do that for second and third line too. For fourth line, paste it, enter it, and then it will ask for Do you want to continue, say Y.
If this not work out, copy all 4 lines at a single time and paste them and keep clciking enter for each pop-up.

See, if you accidentatly downloaded some other brave browser packages, delete them and start the process. Also, first update the update manager, it will ask to downlaod and update manager itself. The update manager is needed, I think for the third command.

LOL rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/brave-browser-beta.list = permissioin denied.

Sorry, should have prefixed that with a sudo.

Thanks, I tried that. Still doesn’t work. Maybe its a problem with cinnamon. I may try another linux version.

Maybe not another version… just start with another DE

That’s ok thanks for the help. Ill keep looking for a workaround or get a different version of mint.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.