Brave suddenly not working with Yosemite 10.10.5

Hi and thanks -

I’M using Mac OS 10.10.5 Yosemite

The Brave Browser that I downloaded from the Brave site and have been very happily using for about 3 weeks (EXTREMELY stoked to switch from YEARS of Google Chrome), suddenly began producing the error message in the Mac Finder after quitting Brave today:

You can’t use this version of the application “Brave Browser” with this version of OS X.
You have OS X 10.10.5. The application requires OS X 10.11 or later.”

As well, the Application icon itself had changed to reflect it wasn’t compatible with my OS.
My Mac tells me that this is Brave version 88.1.19.86.
I never updated Brave manually or as far as I know set it to update automatically.
I’d very much like to continue using Brave, but I’m not going to update OS X exclusively for that.
I’ve noticed that Chrome is now posting a notice on their browser that they will no longer be supporting future updates for 10.10.5 and wondering if that might be a clue.
I had really left Chrome behind, tricked out Brave, and had accumulated quite a few bookmarks and secured log in info stored in Brave…to have this occur so unexpectedly was disappointing.

Expected result: to be able to use Brave with my current operating system Mac OS 10.10.5

**Brave Version 88.1.19.86

8 Likes

@blessdog,
That is accurate – I believe the oldest version of macOS we now support is v10.11.0. I believe Chromium (and subsequently Brave) are making these changes for security reasons.

Your website still says that you support 10.10.5 - here’s a link BRAVE SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
Google isn’t DISABLING my current browser like you did, without warning- just telling me that they won’t update it. I lost a bunch of information - not cool. A bit of warning might have been nice.
And expecting the millions of Yosemite users you have to update their OS to be able to use Brave? That’s just bad form. The least you might say is that your sorry that that happened to me without WARNING.
w/e - I know I’l be wasting my energy going any further with you, “Mattches”

“security reasons”
please…

10 Likes

I’ve just encountered this problem, after using Brave happily for many months.
I can’t update from OSX Yosemite, I don’t get an option to update my software - maybe my Macbook is too old. So that’s the end of my use of Brave.
Ah well, it was fun while it lasted.

8 Likes

Probably better that I only got 3 weeks…I REALLY wanted to get away from Google.
It’s annoying as h**l to quit an application that’s been working pretty flawlessly, only to get slapped by the heavy hand of big tech when you try to start it up again, with no warning. And then have the millennial moderator tell you that it’s not THEIR fault - it’s Apple’s and Google’s you know, for “security reasons”.
I’m back on Chrome for a minute - - best of luck ;o

btw: I have a newer 27" iMac, so…

7 Likes

Many browsers maintain legacy versions that while not up to snuff with all the latest bells and whistles (and perhaps a certain level of security), will work with older OS computers. If Brave does not already offer this, I strongly suggest it should consider offering such (with all disclaimers so people don’t go in unprepared for possible issues), as otherwise it will lose many customers like myself, who am only on this thread for the same reason-- nonfunctional Brave access overnight with no warning. (I run Mac OS 10.10.5)

7 Likes

…having slept on this, and with further reflection, I agree with blessdog, I think some sort of warning should have been given. I was using Brave as per normal yesterday, on and off all day and early evening. I then try to check some emails before going to bed and find the browser is unavailable. In the months I’d made Brave my default browser I had bookmarked a lot of websites including a couple of invite-only forums, which I have no way of accessing now! A few days’ notice would have enabled me to at least note down these details. Instead, at zero notice, and through no fault of my own, I am now unable to contribute to some discussions I was following. Is there any way I can access my bookmarked websites? (I am unable to locate the ones I want using usual search methods)

7 Likes

I’ve got the same issue (mac OS 10.10.5), this morning I suddenly can’t use Brave anymore, with no warning. I use it since 2 or 3 years, I’ve got all my bookmarks ans stuffs, I don’t understand how the developers can make this to the Brave users…please find a quick solution for us!

5 Likes

Try https://dissenter.com
It’s based on Brave, without BAT ads and cryptocurrencies. It still works with Yosemite.

2 Likes

Discovered the same problem on my Mac today, using OS X 10.10.5 Yosemite, it is an older Mac so can not update the OS. My mac is working perfectly fine so I refuse to be forced by these large corporations to upgrade to newer hardware when it’s really not necessary!
Anyway after short search online, found an older version of Brave browser for Mac. First I deleted the version no longer working on my mac to avoid any version conflicts and then installed the older version I downloaded, seems to be working fine and it kept my existing bookmarks! Here is the link:

4 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion. I downloaded it and have been using it for a little while. I like the “lean” style (fast) without the Brave rewards and crypto bloat. Since it’s based on Brave which is based on Chromee, I suspect I’ll circle around to the same issue sooner or later. When I switched to Chrome from Firefox years ago, I did so with reservations…Like Amazon and Apple (both of which I use), I’ve never been comfortable with Googles monolithic position and tyranical control of the internet. Especially now, when their search engine has become a joke if you’re seeking unbiased results. Algorithm, shmalgorith as the Three Stooges might say. Just the way if the world we negotiate, I suppose ;o

3 Likes

lol, just chuckling to myself reading these replies
exact same issues as everyone else, no real need to explain it, but for demonstrable purposes:

I’ve been using Brave for almost 4 years. I was happy to use a new, customizable browser that actually seemed to have a concern about my privacy-to-functionality/accessibility ratio, and had fun testing new features as they were released over the years. So, here I am thinking, Brave has come such a long way in a short time! Then yesterday (1.19.21) After using Brave for work, quite literally all day, I quit out ONE time to refresh an extension, and surprise! I can no longer access years of bookmarks, logins, and rewards. Not to mention just normal productivity and access stuff, like simple web searches or checking my email. I had to go use safari for that LOL

Initially I wasn’t going to give any input, just simply switch browsers and never come back. However, reading this page, it’s pretty clear to me that A: you guys aren’t going to learn anything from this and B: you’re not as good as you might think you are.

While I’m not a programmer, I do know a little bit about code - if you were really good at your jobs (you know, worked hard in a humble fashion for the sheer benefit of ‘progress’) you would have been troubleshooting these “security issues” by pushing through with new solutions, rather than bending to ‘the easiest outcome’, like so many other companies.

On top of that, most “good” companies issue some kind of communication repertoire with their customers, letting them know about changes and delays so they can prepare and find work-arounds BEFORE the product is completely inaccessible, or released broken. You didn’t learn anything from CD PROJEKT RED? I did just make an account to tell you this, because I haven’t seen a single notice/ad/bulletin/message about this update - it makes me think you guys are embarrassed by its lack of functionality on A LOT of computers, and just rolled it out overnight to see what would happen.

well, here’s what happened:

[blessdog]
"I’M using Mac OS 10.10.5 Yosemite

The Brave Browser that I downloaded from the Brave site and have been very happily using for about 3 weeks (EXTREMELY stoked to switch from YEARS of Google Chrome), suddenly began producing the error message in the Mac Finder after quitting Brave today:

Google isn’t DISABLING my current browser like you did, without warning- just telling me that they won’t update it. I lost a bunch of information - not cool. A bit of warning might have been nice.

[101er]
I’ve just encountered this problem, after using Brave happily for many months.
I can’t update from OSX Yosemite, I don’t get an option to update my software - maybe my Macbook is too old. So that’s the end of my use of Brave.
Ah well, it was fun while it lasted.

[blessdog]
It’s annoying as h**l to quit an application that’s been working pretty flawlessly, only to get slapped by the heavy hand of big tech when you try to start it up again, with no warning.

[probyngregory]
I strongly suggest it should consider offering such (with all disclaimers so people don’t go in unprepared for possible issues), as otherwise it will lose many customers like myself, who am only on this thread for the same reason-- nonfunctional Brave access overnight with no warning. (I run Mac OS 10.10.5)

[curlytaz]
“My mac is working perfectly fine so I refuse to be forced by these large corporations to upgrade to newer hardware when it’s really not necessary!”

[lafreezette]
I’ve got the same issue (mac OS 10.10.5), this morning I suddenly can’t use Brave anymore, with no warning."

[blessdog]
Expected result: to be able to use Brave with my current operating system Mac OS 10.10.5

While I do believe that these results are consequences of bad metrics, an industry that doesn’t care about its consumers, and things generally beyond your developers’ control, just a little common sense and communication would have guaranteed higher retention from some of your oldest users. Also you wouldn’t be putting off new folks who are just trying it out, but then can’t because ‘security issues’ or ‘old hardware’. Locking people out of their customized browsers without warning, while pretty damn secure, is also pretty asinine.

I don’t need a response - as I mentioned, I was just going to ditch Brave until I saw these other testimonies. This post is for other users who are probably having the same exact problems right now. Good luck, I’m back on silly ol’ firefox until I can find stable versions of Brave that work with my ‘just-fine’ Mac OS 10.10.5

4 Likes

Thanks for that link ;o

2 Likes

I did the same, but all data gone =( ! It’s like fresh install, so I lost passwords and bookmarks, I mean, the browser works fine. ANY SOLUTIONS HERE ??

1 Like

Same thing happened for me. I was loving Brave. Installed it in November.

Booted up this morning and discovered that I could no longer use the browser on Yosemite and the version number changed as above.

I went to CNET and downloaded the 2018 version. It works fine and I can see all of the recent bookmarks - from yesterday as a matter of fact. Was looking for an external hard drive to do Time Machine BUs so I can upgrade my computer!

Don’t have access to my saved login info! Pissed about this. I have to re-enter everything for my numerous on-line accounts.

There are some other changes I’ve noticed online that don’t have to do with Brave but have me thinking… Are the powers that be rolling out the great reset today?

The Government of Canada has just changed their on-line key concierge for log in to the Gov site for access to key programs.

Anyway, is there anyway that we can access our saved logins?

2 Likes

This is absolutely unacceptable.
Wont be recommending Brave browser or their shitcoin to anyone at all after this. Literally couldn’t do it on a good conscience.
Shame on the devs brave for screwing this up so royally.

4 Likes

Will there be any attempt to resort functionality of brave to Yosemite users?

2 Likes

This is a deal breaker. No notification. Nothing.

Accidentally closed the program instead of closing a window - lost a bunch of work (shopping cart from vendor’s website has disappeared - a day’s work).

If Brave can do this once to their user base, they can do it again.

Never again. Back to Firefox.

2 Likes

Blessdog, what link are you working with? Are you able to use Brave again without the 10.11? I just got booted out! :frowning: thank you

1 Like

Hello, Brave team. You are very brave, to have booted out those of us with Mac 10.10.5!!! WHY? I am really annoyed that I can no longer use the browser. When will you be fixing this? I am not able to upgrade to 10.11 on the fly.
Please advise a fix for us.

4 Likes