Brave no longer prints highlighted text in color

I have many pages that have highlighted text, as well as headers and footers. When sending to a color printer it always printed the “background” of the text in the correct color. Now it stopped doing that. The images on the page do print in color. It’s just the highlighted text that is missing the background color of the text. This happened many years ago after an update and I was able to find the fix, but so far now I can’t find it. Thank you.

Window 7 64 bit sp1+

I’m surprised no one is commenting on this. I guess few people print in color and fewer still print highlighted text in color. :frowning: It still works with Firefox but I really would prefer to stick with Brave. :smiley:

@Matt621 I think part of the challenge here is you posted you’re on Windows 7. Brave doesn’t do updates to Windows 7 (and hasn’t for a while now), so changes you’re mentioning wouldn’t be related to Brave necessarily. Most that would have changed in Brave is components, such as Shields. I’m not sure if you’d notice a difference if you disabled Shields.

Other than that, would be looking at extensions or some other program/app on your device. But you’re right in that it likely is a niche thing and not something people generally use or worry about.

Well it was working a few months ago and it still works in Firefox & Chrome, does not working Opera or Brave. I think it has something to do with Print Preview. I disablbed in in Brave. Not sure how to re-enable it. I don’t like it, takes too long to load, but if I can re-enable it at least I can see if that’s the issue. Thank you.

Okay I found the problem but not a solution, yet.
The setting I am looking for is “print background graphics.”
However that setting only shows up when “print preview” is enabled.
I have had to disable 'print preview" because it takes too long to load (network printer.)
So how do I re-enable “print background graphics” w/o using “print preview?”

Thank you.

I don’t think there is a way to do that. Probably best to see if @Mattches may have some answer for you on that just in case.

Thanks but how do I contact that person? @Mattches ?

@Matt621,
Sorry for the late reply here.

I’m assuming this is the option you’re referring to?

If so, is the screenshot above what you mean by “print preview”, or are you referring to downloading and opening the content to be printed in .pdf form to preview it before it’s printed?

What you show is what I’m after and I thought it had it enabled and then disabled print preview via the command line. But once I disable print preview I lose the ability to print background graphics. I thought it had it working but the printer is in another building and no one told me the background colors were not working until recently. So I had to go back to “print preview” but I really dislike print preview because it just slows things down too much.

So is there a way to “code” or by using the command line to keep the background graphics printing w/o the print preview?

Thank you.

Unfortunately no, there does not appear to be a way to do this. Does downloading the file first not resolve this issue for you (even if it does take an additional step)?

I am printing from HTML, not pdf. So there is no “download” per se.

I was really hoping there was a command line that I can enable “print background graphics” and disabling “print preview” at the same time. Seems like it’s a helpful feature … at least to me. :wink:

@Matt621,
I can’t seem to find any way to enable/disable the Print background graphics outside of the checkbox that shows up on the in-browser print preview page. However, you can disable print preview in general in the browser. You can try this by:

1. Right-clicking on the Brave shortcut on your desktop
  2. Click Properties from the context menu
  3. Click in the Target field
  4. Go to the end of the field (outside the last quotation mark) and type --disable-print-preview
  5. Click Apply then OK
  6. Launch the browser and try to print a page

Let me know if this helps.

Yes, that is correct. That is what I did a few months ago and the people in the warehouse did not tell me it was no longer printing in color. It’s just that it take so long for the preview to come up… I print 20-40 invoices at a time and what would take 5 minutes ends up taking 30-45 minute depending on the invoice.