Why do you think it's a good idea to expire sync?

Description of the issue: sorry, your sync code has expired. Please generate a new one using the device you don’t have with the browser you uninstalled.

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3.

Uninstall brave for a couple days
Try to use sync code

Reproduces how often: always

Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu): last 5+ versions

Type of devices currently running on the Sync chain in question: all

Additional Information: please stop this I’ve literally lost all my synced data about three times now

If it’s not meant to be a sync DON’T CALL IT SYNC. It’s not sync if it doesn’t actually remember it somewhere.

This is seriously so annoying that I ABSOLUTELY AM NOW REQUIRED to keep a brave install somewhere or lose EVERYTHING

Is your current phrase 24 words?
Also if it’s a 25 word one, tell me what the last word is. Reason being that the 25th word changes daily so if you have a word which was for yesterday or anytime before today this will give the error.

So sync’s utterly useless then. Because the last time I used brave was about two weeks ago.

The 25th word is same for everyone and can be tracked at
https://alexeybarabash.github.io/25th-brave-sync-word/

Gonna mark this as a solution because it technically solved my problem but it still doesn’t resolve them calling it sync when it’s nothing like that - half of settings or more don’t sync and apparently now they’ve decided to neuter it farther by making it useless if you reinstall brave.

You’ve gotta choose what data you want to be synced.

I know
But one device is windows, one is android, and settings don’t sync from Android pretty much at all, while the windows ones partially sync

it’s frustrating not to be able to rely on the sync code being the same when installing a new computer. then I always need access to another machine to check what the current code is if it wasn’t for this generator which I don’t know if it’s reliable.

What’s the purpose of this? I think it’s a poor idea to expire the sync

Its for security. They did recently try to add a bit of a layer of protection by having a 25th word that changes daily. Can’t say it’s the strongest or best way, but like if you had shared the code or lost it somewhere and someone went to use it, the goal would be that it wouldn’t work. Sync wasn’t intended as a backup and so they didn’t think about trying to make it last.

why not just add the option to choose when the sync code expires? then everyone would be happy