Text elements in websites completely scrambled and illegible

Description of the issue: i was browsing twitter and opened a link to an article from the atlantic and all of the text in the article was completely garbled and illegible. this was the first site i’ve noticed it on and some sites only have parts of their text scrambled like this or all of it, see the attached image for reference

Exact URL of the website in question: https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2014/04/mozillas-gay-marriage-litmus-test-violates-liberal-values/360156/?gift=JVBFw4prAGLDDaC8P3DrSfhvB7KmaV3HydZ4hwvKM9Q&utm_source=copy-link&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=share

Did the issue present with default Shields settings? (yes)

Does the site function as expected when Shields are turned off? no

Is there a specific Shields configuration that causes the site to break? If so, tell us that configuration. (no):

Does the site work as expected when using Chrome? yes

Brave version (check About Brave): 1.64.122

@scrunchycrunch,
Tested on my end and the article seems to load just fine. Do the other articles on the site also display this way or is it just that one article?

the whole site is rendering like that @Mattches

Have you tried clearing cache/site data for theatlantic.com? You can do this by clicking the “tune” icon, located on the left inside the address bar, then Cookies and site data --> Trash icon.

it doesn’t help, it’s still the same

Can you please tell me the Android device type/model you’re using when you see this, as well as what version of Android OS you’re running?

samsung galaxy s10 running android 12

i ended up figuring it out myself lol, this flag was enabled and it messed up the text on some websites i visited. resetting it to default fixed the problem and now all text elements are back to normal

1 Like