Sync Flag issue

I didn’t get the memo about syncing being disabled in an update last month, so I thought I had to manually enable it. Now my Brave desktop browser just crashes immediately whenever I try to start it.

I went to brave://flags and enabled whatever the name of the “sync between devices” flag is, and fiddled with one or two others that seemed simple enough to understand that I would want to change something with them.

I am on the most recent stable release of Brave.

I’d change the flag back if I could, but that requires opening the browser, so I’m in a bit of a Catch-22.

I’d like to resolve this without deleting and reinstalling, as I don’t have any backup of my bookmarks, and I don’t know how to back them up.

Thank you in advance.

I performed the same steps on my browser on 2 separate workstations. One worked. The other has the same issue as you. No idea why it’s hit or miss.

Yep, same here… Really wish there was a way to load in “safe mode”.

After some fiddling around, I figured out you can get back in by deleting the Sync Data and Sync Extension Settings folders in Users/yourusername/AppData/Local/BraveSoftware/UserData/Default

I was then able to recreate my sync keys and it’s working now. No crashes, and I’m syncing among two PCs and one Android device.

This worked for me. Thank you so much!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.