Regualar user and been flagged?

Hi dear comunity,
I stopped received rewards since january 22. I didnt get the chance before to seek what was the matter. I still received add though, on my mobile and other devices.

Today i wanted to solve this issue. And when i got into my uphold wallet i see this disclaimer message that i have been flaged…?

what is this and why is this happening when i use the brave browser for so many times now…?

Are you using a VPN?
Also you doing any of the following could trigger this →
Any violation of Brave’s Terms can result in your account being flagged. You can find their Terms of Service for Brave Rewards at https://basicattentiontoken.org/user-terms-of-service/

Some quick examples of things that often result in flagged accounts can be:

• Using a VPN, Proxy Server, or other such thing to hide or fake your location. This is because it can be seen as you trying to bypass ad restrictions. Remember, advertisers pay so content is shown to specific regions. When you appear to be in a region you’re not, it is taking advantage of the system to see ads and receive BAT you shouldn’t be getting.
  • Modifying folders. There are some things you’re encouraged to do but some people do dig deep and try modifying folders that affect your encryption key OR where Users think they can fool the system into thinking they’ve seen more ads or have more BAT in their browser than they really do. Whether intentional or accidental, messing with the wrong things will get your account flagged.
  • Your setup sends mixed information to Brave. For example, maybe you’re in the United States. Your IP address shows you in California, your language is English-IN, and your time zone is correct. This will tell Brave you should see ads from India but then it sees that you’re actually in California. At this point it will think you’re trying to trick the system to see more ads and might flag you. If nothing else, it can result in you not getting BAT for ads that you do see.
  • Cloning your browser. Some people have learned how to do unofficial backup & restore and have the “great idea” that they can make multiple copies of the same browser on different devices and then Verify them with a custodial wallet like Uphold or Gemini. The system recognizes this and will flag the account and prevent anything from happening. Of course, even if unintentional, creating two exact copies of the browser and encryption key will be seen as attempting to do this and will flag you. So never have two identical copies of the browser running.
  • Uphold or Gemini identifies your account as fraudulent and/or there’s a violation of laws.
  • Any other type of suspicious activity is recognized by the system or Brave staff.
2 Likes

I’m just going to borrow from my FAQ written at PSA: User FAQ - Support & Answers

What do I do if I've been flagged?

It’s supposed to be that you don’t need to do anything, which is what the notification tells you. Unfortunately the system doesn’t seem to revisit and unflag as intended. This means that if you truly did nothing wrong and want Brave to investigate and hopefully remove the flag, you’ll need to submit a Support Ticket to Brave.

Brave will not advise why your account was flagged, as they don’t want to let people know the types of activity the system is picking up on. The reason for that is they want to give as little help to people abusing and scamming the system as possible. So if that’s what you want to know, you may as well give up on that thought now.

Just be advised that not all tickets will result in them removing the flag from your account. If they see or believe you violated terms, they can decide to leave your account permanently flagged.

It’s also important to remember it can take a while before they get to your ticket, plus depending on circumstances, it can take a while to investigate. So you may need to be patient.

Why are accounts flagged?

Any violation of Brave’s Terms can result in your account being flagged. You can find their Terms of Service for Brave Rewards at https://basicattentiontoken.org/user-terms-of-service/

Some quick examples of things that often result in flagged accounts can be:

• Using a VPN, Proxy Server, or other such thing to hide or fake your location. This is because it can be seen as you trying to bypass ad restrictions. Remember, advertisers pay so content is shown to specific regions. When you appear to be in a region you’re not, it is taking advantage of the system to see ads and receive BAT you shouldn’t be getting.
  • Modifying folders. There are some things you’re encouraged to do but some people do dig deep and try modifying folders that affect your encryption key OR where Users think they can fool the system into thinking they’ve seen more ads or have more BAT in their browser than they really do. Whether intentional or accidental, messing with the wrong things will get your account flagged.
  • Your setup sends mixed information to Brave. For example, maybe you’re in the United States. Your IP address shows you in California, your language is English-IN, and your time zone is correct. This will tell Brave you should see ads from India but then it sees that you’re actually in California. At this point it will think you’re trying to trick the system to see more ads and might flag you. If nothing else, it can result in you not getting BAT for ads that you do see.
  • Cloning your browser. Some people have learned how to do unofficial backup & restore and have the “great idea” that they can make multiple copies of the same browser on different devices and then Verify them with a custodial wallet like Uphold or Gemini. The system recognizes this and will flag the account and prevent anything from happening. Of course, even if unintentional, creating two exact copies of the browser and encryption key will be seen as attempting to do this and will flag you. So never have two identical copies of the browser running.
  • Uphold or Gemini identifies your account as fraudulent and/or there’s a violation of laws.
  • Any other type of suspicious activity is recognized by the system or Brave staff.

That said, just like people, the system isn’t flawless and mistakes can happen. If you haven’t done anything wrong, you can always create a ticket as instructed in What do I do if I get flagged? section of this FAQ.

If you do think this could be a mistake you could always raise a ticket. →

Lmao, this is where I wish we could actually delete comments. I’d be like, “ooh, SmartyAadi answered same time, said about everything that needs to be said. My comment isn’t needed!”

@lodabk In any case, hope that info helps you. Main thing is just get that support ticket submitted.

1 Like

lol, I literally copy pasted it from your recent answer →

Thanks both of u. I have read indeed those things before makinfg any topic. Nope i didnt use VPN or any apply to any cases mentionned…

And fact that i stoped receiving rewards from january 2022 but still add, is weird! I didn’t change anything… I will create a ticket then. Thanks

Hi @lodabk welcome back to Community :slight_smile:

Thanks @SmartyAadi and @Saoiray for all the information you’ve provided.
As suggested, it is best that you submit a ticket to the Rewards Support form. From there a Support Agent can take a closer look at the issue.

Thanks!

Closing this thread.