Fedora 29 Repository broken

linux

#1

Description of the issue:
The repository for Braveon Fedora Linux 28+ is broken.

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3.

sudo dnf config-manager --add-repo https://brave-browser-rpm-release.s3.brave.com/x86_64/

sudo rpm --import https://brave-browser-rpm-release.s3.brave.com/brave-core.asc

sudo dnf install brave-browser brave-keyring

  1. sudo dnf check-update

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):
ERROR: cache for package source “brave-browser” could not be synchronized, ignoring this repo.

Expected result:
No error message

Reproduces how often:
Always

Brave Version(about:brave):
brave-browser x86_64 0.59.35-1 brave-browser-rpm-release.s3.brave.com_x86_64_ 64 M
brave-keyring noarch 1.0-1.fc30 brave-browser-rpm-release.s3.brave.com_x86_64_ 6.0 k

Reproducible on current live release (yes/no):
YES

Additional Information:
cat /etc/yum.repos.d/brave*
[brave-browser]
name=brave-browser
baseurl=http://dl.google.com/linux/brave-browser/rpm/stable/x86_64 <<— Invalid URL
enabled=1
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=https://dl.google.com/linux/linux_signing_key.pub
[brave-browser-rpm-release.s3.brave.com_x86_64_]
name=created by dnf config-manager from https://brave-browser-rpm-release.s3.brave.com/x86_64/
baseurl=https://brave-browser-rpm-release.s3.brave.com/x86_64/
enabled=1


#2

@bedawi,
Tested this on my end and was able to install Brave on Fedora Linux 29 without issue. I used the commands found on our Help Center.

Is there anything unique about your machine/setup?


#3

Hi Mattches, thanks for your reply.

Installation is not the problem, but if you run a dnf update you get an error message. If you then check the repos (see additional information) you find a invalid URL. I tried this on two different machines after somenone else complained about in in fedoraforum.org. I do not believe its machine specific.


#4

Interestingly enough: When doing the installation according to the information on your website, the you end up with two repo-files in /etc/yum.repos.d/ brave-browser.repo and brave-browser-rpm-release.s3.brave.com_x86_64_.repo. The first one has an invalid link and can just be deleted.


#5

i can only confirm that and would also very much welcome a concrete solution. thank you in advance.


#6

Sorry for the late reply!
Looks like we have an issue filed for this that we have our team to review:


I will let you know more info as it becomes available.


#7

Cool. Many thanks for your effort @Mattches!


#8

thx for your efforts too - bedawi, mattches & brave - team.


#9

This has been an issue for months.

I’ve posted a work-around on Ask Fedora.