Do you ever want all fingerprinting turned on?

Hi @BWPC. By default, Brave applies our randomization based fingerprinting protections to all sites, in all contexts. So, you’re always receiving very strong protections. These protections are designed to protect you against web scale trackers (analytics companies, advertisers, etc.), the same kinds of protections that our ad and tracker blocking targets.

We expect that some of these protections could be worked around by very determined attackers, who would be willing to perform a large number of attacks and use statistical techniques to try and identify particular people (think things like nation state kinds of actors, not the type of tracking that Brave primarily aims to defend against).

The maximum setting is for folks who are willing to accept some site breakage, to get further protection against very targeted attacks. These are extremely uncommon for most users visiting most sites, and not a category of attack Brave primarily focuses on defending against. In general, users who are concerned about targeted attacks should use tools that specifically aim to protect users in such cases (for example, the Tor Browser Bundle). But the strict fingerprinting protection mode exists for users who would like some additional protection against targeted attacks, but to also enjoy Brave’s other features (Brave Rewards, better web compat that Tor Browser Bundle, ad blocking, etc).

Hope that helps; its a complicated topic so please let me know if I can explain further!

TL;DR; I recommend everyone use the standard mode. Those fingerprinting protections are very effective against web-scale tracking and privacy abuse (the same kind of protections that nearly all web privacy tools, plugins and browsers are targeting). If you’re looking for protection against sophisticated targeted attacks, you’re best served by using a tool designed for such attacks. But Brave’s “strict” fingerprinting protections mode is a middle ground between the default setting and a tool like Tor Browser Bundle.

2 Likes