Do you ever want all fingerprinting turned on?

Do you ever want all fingerprinting turned on? For example, when you want to go to a website and you want them to know you, and you want to make sure you have maximum security at that website? You want to make sure that some hacker somewhere else in the world won’t impersonate you? So, should all fingerprinting be turned on sometimes? Thank you.

2 Likes

Hi @BWPC. By default, Brave applies our randomization based fingerprinting protections to all sites, in all contexts. So, you’re always receiving very strong protections. These protections are designed to protect you against web scale trackers (analytics companies, advertisers, etc.), the same kinds of protections that our ad and tracker blocking targets.

We expect that some of these protections could be worked around by very determined attackers, who would be willing to perform a large number of attacks and use statistical techniques to try and identify particular people (think things like nation state kinds of actors, not the type of tracking that Brave primarily aims to defend against).

The maximum setting is for folks who are willing to accept some site breakage, to get further protection against very targeted attacks. These are extremely uncommon for most users visiting most sites, and not a category of attack Brave primarily focuses on defending against. In general, users who are concerned about targeted attacks should use tools that specifically aim to protect users in such cases (for example, the Tor Browser Bundle). But the strict fingerprinting protection mode exists for users who would like some additional protection against targeted attacks, but to also enjoy Brave’s other features (Brave Rewards, better web compat that Tor Browser Bundle, ad blocking, etc).

Hope that helps; its a complicated topic so please let me know if I can explain further!

TL;DR; I recommend everyone use the standard mode. Those fingerprinting protections are very effective against web-scale tracking and privacy abuse (the same kind of protections that nearly all web privacy tools, plugins and browsers are targeting). If you’re looking for protection against sophisticated targeted attacks, you’re best served by using a tool designed for such attacks. But Brave’s “strict” fingerprinting protections mode is a middle ground between the default setting and a tool like Tor Browser Bundle.

2 Likes

Pes, thank you! Let’s say I have power of attorney for a bank and to all of its accounts for a client. I have the username and the password for the account and I can sign in fine. The bank alleges that it has very strong security. As far as my brave settings, I turn JavaScript on, cookies must be on but I set it to block all cross-site cookies, but then there is fingerprinting. The bank says it will alert me about any fraudulent attempts to sign in. So is this a case where I want fingerprinting on so the bank has the greatest possible potential to make sure that it is me signing in every time? And so the bank will alert me about any fraudulent attempts to sign in? It says something in the bank documents about allowing this particular computer to sign in and asking if I want this computer recognized. So that must mean they are fingerprinting my computer right? So I guess the basic question is how do you, or I or anyone, want your fingerprinting set for online banking? And while we’re at it, how do you want your cookies set for online banking? The brave browser is an incredible product and I’ve learned more about online safety than ever before just by using it and its features. So thank you in advance! So, in summary for online banking do we want: JavaScript aloud, cross-site cookies blocked, all fingerprinting allowed, and by the way I think also sensors allowed? Or, should we actually be more afraid that somebody will be able to steal our fingerprint?

Hello all, I still don’t know if you ever want all fingerprinting turned on for security verification when going to a bank. I turned it on, transferred all money from an estate bank accounts to the checking account, wrote paper checks to distribute everything, then closed the bank account. I will only use paper from now on, because I was sweating until it was all done. But I would like to understand if you use banks, do you want motion sensors on? Do you want fingerprinting on? Or do you want these things off. Which is more secure if using a bank? What is the danger, the bank not recognizing you because they don’t have your fingerprint, or someone tracking you and imitating your fingerprint? Shouldn’t we all stay offline until we figure this out? I know I am!

in my humble knowledge
it depend on your bank most of the time bank will require you to enable java script and you need to make cookies to be at least blocked third -party

for the fingerprint set it to strict or standard as you like

when the bank ask to recognize you most of the time they have cookies and save it on your device that you currently using so when you visit the site again they read that cookies and know that you are client with them and that you revisiting them

if you want to go further then has at least 2 browser in your device one for surfing the internet and the other for the private stuff like logging to your bank or your work , school or anything important

and the golden rule security is not about one tool or applications it’s a process
for example let us assume you use the most secure browser so the question now is your operating system secure is your hardware secure is the other app on your device secure

see it can go for ever

for me i use 2 browser as i said before and i use the strict and aggresive till a site break then i ease it a little till it work fine

just to make it clear i am just a user like you

hope that help and have a nice day

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.