Brave Defaults with Brave Shields

Troubleshooting technical issues is much easier when both the user and support agent practice clear communication. For this reason, we have provided the template below for you to fill out with information about your issue. Please provide as much detail as possible so we can most efficiently resolve your problem.

Delete the any text above the line separator below before posting

Description of the issue:
Opening a new web page and using Brave Shields.

Exact URL of the website in question:
Numerous to include Brave’s website.

Did the issue present with default Shields settings? (yes/no)
No

Does the site function as expected when Shields are turned off?
Yes. Way better than before.

Is there a specific Shields configuration that causes the site to break? If so, tell us that configuration. (yes/no):
Unknown

Does the site work as expected when using Chrome?
Not sure but definitely better when using Firefox

Brave version (check About Brave):

1 Like

Can you explain what you’re talking about here? What is happening that you’re saying is an issue?

So no particular sites? Whatever issue you’re having is occurring everywhere and at all times?

1 Like

For example, I went to Navy Federal Credit Union and Bravo Shields prevented the full load. I changed it to Shields down and reported the site. I got to a Brave Website (i.e. this one and a couple of others) and Brave Shields were up. When I turned off Brave Shields and reloaded the page, they worked just fine. I went to my online classroom site, again Brave Shields were up. When I turned them off and reloaded the page, the page worked fine. This is happening to the majority of pages “I” go to. I am starting to find it is easier to use Firefox again instead of using Brave because I have to keep lowering the Shields and then reloading the page. I am reporting the site as per instructed but it is getting a little tiresome to keep doing “Brave Shields Up, change to Down, Report Site, Reload Site”. And some of the other sites are saying Javascript is not enabled or not installed and again, I lower the shields and the page works just fine. Does this answer your question or is there more information that I need to collect other than me reporting every site I go to? Totally confused and frustrated over here and NOT meaning to sound like I am in any way saying anything negative towards you as a person but Brave is frustrating my use of conducting business using Brave’s browser. Is there a “default” setting I need to change or what do I need to do to keep using this browser without having to change the Brave Shields settings to just about every site “I” go to?

As I was trying to type before but somehow got silenced in the process: I go to Navy Federal and it does not load properly. I lower Brave Shields and reload the page and it works fine. I got to Brave pages (i.e. this one and some others), I have to lower Brave Shields and the reload the page and it works fine. I went to my online classroom and had to lower Brave Shields and reload the page. Just about any site “I” go to, I end up having to lower Brave Shields and then reload that page. I am not trying to sound like I am personally attacking you! It is Brave Shields and is there a General Setting I need to change or what do I need to do to stop the recurring cycle of “Brave Shields Up, lower Brave Shields, Report Site, Reload Page”? I find it is getting easier to go back to Firefox instead of just about constantly having to lowering Brave Shields and reload the page. Does that help clarify the situation or is there more information needed? Moreover, some of the other sites have said, “Javescript not installed or not working.” Could this be part of the problem? Or is this particular post going to suddenly vanish as well?

1 Like

Well, there’s a few things that could be causing issues. The more descriptive of issues, the easier it is to know. Most of the settings you’d worry about is at brave://settings/shields. If you change settings at the lion symbol next to the URL/Address Bar, that usually only changes settings for that particular site.

Settings that can cause issues would be:

• Blocking Scripts. This actually breaks most websites and only should be turned on as needed

• Blocking ALL cookies, rather than Only cross-site

• Turning Fingerprinting or Trackers & Ads Blocking to Aggressive rather than Standard.

Beyond that, if you’re using any Extensions, they can sometimes cause conflict. So testing where you open in New Private Window instead of your normal can test that out. If you can access things in a Private Window, then likely need to disable or remove certain extensions in your browser…if you’ve installed anything.

Sounding like perhaps Scripts are being blocked, which would stop things like Javascript from running. But could be any of the other things I listed.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.