Brave crashes on macOS Catalina because of accessible keyboard

Description of the issue:
Brave crashes on macOS Catalina because of the accessible keyboard.

How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Have accessible keyboard enabled.
  2. Launch Brave and wait a couple seconds.
    Or
  3. Launch Brave
  4. Enable accessible keyboard.
  5. Click on browser

Results:
Brave browser crashes

Expected result:
Brave should stay open

Brave Version( check About Brave):
Brave version 1.2.43 chromium: 79.0.3945.130

Reproducible on current live release (yes/no):
Yes

Additional information:
MacOS Catalina Version 10.15.3

Links to GIF of what happens:
Brave crushes on launch = https://www.dropbox.com/s/rwvj5w4dmnmkg3x/Brave%20crashes%20on%20launch.gif?dl=0
Brave crashes after accessible keyboard is enabled =
https://www.dropbox.com/s/khv6sekva9h7y18/Brave%20crashes%20with%20accessibility%20keyboard.gif?dl=0

Hey Brave.

I recently tried using your browser but the browser has a problem that has occurred in a couple applications since macOS Catalina. The Spotify Desktop for Mac and Google Chrome browser had this problem as well but Spotify and Google have fixed this.

The problem that occurs is that the browser will instantly crash when the accessible keyboard is enabled.

If the accessible keyboard is currently enabled and you try to open the app it instantly crashes.

And if the accessibility keyboard is disabled you’re able to open the browser and everything works fine, but once you enable the keyboard for typing it will crash a couple seconds after.

This hinders a lot of people with disabilities looking to use the Brave browser. So I thought it would be best to notify you of the problem so we can be fixed. Let me know if you have any other questions regarding this I could always make a video of my screen to show the problem. Here is how to enable the accessibility keyboard for your own testing.

System Preferences > Accessibility > Keyboard > Accessibility Keyboard > Enable Accessibility Keyboard

Spotify and Google Chrome have fixed this problem so they might have some answers for you.

Thank you,

Cody

Hi, @Code_Quad. This and related issue with just turning on Keyboard Viewer is being reported by many, including my confirmation. See, for example, this prior thread:

@Mattches, is there a way to combine related threads?

1 Like

Oh yeah OK that makes sense because both are the same keyboard.

Spotify and Google have figured out this problem so hopefully they can find a quick answer from one of them somehow.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Quick update - there have been some folks running into this and reporting via GitHub. So please be aware you can turn off accessibility keyboard as a troubleshooting step. There is a fix coming in Chromium 83 which we plan to ship May 19th. Stay tuned

2 Likes