Brave Ads Break Reddit on Brave Browser Android

Description of the issue:

Turning on Brave Ads will cause Reddit to display the “something went wrong” error message when attempting to access the website.

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary):

1. Turn on Brave Ads
  2. Access reddit.com
  3. Get error message

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):

https://imgur.com/5xRgVun

Expected result:

https://imgur.com/jClpksi

Reproduces how often:

Always when Brave Ads is on. Never when Brave Ads is off.

Brave Version(See the About Brave page in Settings):

Brave 1.1.0, Chromium 75.0.3770.101

Mobile Device details

Galaxy S8, North America

Android/iOS Version

Android 9, SM-G950W Build/PPR1.180610.011

2 Likes

@Biglulu Reddit was down yesterday for a while I noticed it too

Reddit is up and I still get the error. It’s Brave Ads that’s the problem.

@Mattches please review?

Thanks for posting @Biglulu we are looking at this now and hope to have a fix out soon.

We believe that desktop mode works there for now and we are getting together a fix.

As @jsecretan mentioned above, you can switch to the desktop version which seems to be working with ads enabled. You can do this by clicking on the Hamburger Menu while you’re on reddit and selecting Desktop Site. Alternatively, you can change your reddit settings to load the desktop site for now until we get a fix out at which point you can change it back to the mobile version.

If you don’t want to use the desktop version of the site, another workaround is to restart the browser after reddit opens. Once you restart the browser, the reddit mobile page should load.

This might not be limited to reddit.com.
When I visit this page to find files in Braves repository on my updated Android app with Ads enabled, no results are displayed. (One more example in my reddit post here )
Switching to a private tab or disabling Ads fixes it.
Maybe it has something to do with the way these websites dynamically load content?

Running into a possibly related problem on espn.com.

The “Scores” link at the top right does not load when ads are on. If they are turned off or the page is opened in a private tab, the link behaves normally.

There are a bunch of Posts poppig up on reddit with some affected websites including pro.coinbase.com, tzscan.io, smtickets.com animepahe.com

Thanks and sorry for the inconvenience, this should be hotfixed out shortly.

v0.66.100 seen it on prerelease

@Dgenies you are seeing reddit.com having trouble load on desktop as well?

with v0.66.100 no issues with reddit and the other listed sites on desktop. @jsecretan

The new Android update fixed it for me. First messages on Reddit from previously affected users are positive, too! :tada:

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.