Can't watch Amazon videos - widevine issue

In the last two months I’ve been unable to watch Amazon Prime videos - says I need to change my widevine settings. Used to work just fine before, not sure what change.

I’m on Linux/Ubuntu & I tried running with shields down, no luck.

We’re experiencing a problem playing this video. For assistance, please to go Amazon link. In other videos it said something about widevine.

Widevine setting is an Enabled / Disabled switch, here:

brave://settings/extensions

Brave Support will need to know:

  • your versions of Linux / Ubuntu

  • your version of Brave Browser

  • have you specifically toggled the widevine switch — and what happened as a result

  • might your firewall(s) be thwarting some port number needed by Amazon in order to communicate well with your computer

  • specific Shields settings that you have attempted / tested in order to figure out on your own, what might be the hangup

brave://settings/shields

  • are you using the Simple or Advanced view?

  • what are the specific Shields settings that you normally leave all such switches set to

You get the idea.

Hello there,

I’m having the same issue with Amazon, albeit on a non-Linux system - a Widevine problem prevents the video playing and gives the message:

“Your web browser is missing a digital rights component. Go to chrome://components and under WidevineCdm, click Check for update.”

Doing so makes no difference.

Here essentially are the Windows equivalents of the steps you suggested for sj2019… along with my results.

  • Windows Pro Version 10.0.19043 Build 19043

  • Brave Version 1.26.77 Chromium: 91.0.4472.164 (Official Build) (64-bit)

  • Widevine Content Decryption Module - Version: 4.10.2209.0

Attempt to remove/reinstall Widevine:

  1. Toggled off the Widevine setting (“Use Widevine digital rights management (DRM) component to view protected streaming video and other content in the browser” setting was switched off)

  2. Visited an Amazon video, and Brave tells me “amazon.com wants to… Install and run Widevine.” I accept, after checking “Don’t ask again”. Page is refreshed (and Brave has re-enabled the Widevine setting).

  3. Went to “brave://components,” it shows Widevine DCM as version above… Check for update shows no update is available.

  4. Video again refuses to play, with Widevine error message.

  5. Turned off Brave Shields for the site, restarted, revisited Amazon - Video still refuses to play.

  6. Videos play properly in other browsers (Chrome w/ Widevine v. 4.10.2209.0), Firefox w/Widevine v. 4.10.2209.1). Video refuses to play in Brave with firewall either enabled or (temporarily) disabled - same message occurs.

Given the steps I’ve taken to try to make this work, it appears that Brave does indeed have a bug (or setting or restriction) that prevents Amazon from playing DRM’d videos - I hope someone with some experience coding for Brave can use this information to maybe solve the problem. Maybe this is somehow related to Brave’s long-time inability to support Google Voice search (see (a) below, Widevine is also a Google thing) from the desktop browser? I REALLY, REALLY would like to keep Brave as my exclusive browser - if it works properly - unfortunately, Brave’s inability to view these videos or do voice searches are real disappointments.

(a) Google voice search showing no internet connection

@breinersj,
I’m able to watch Amazon video content on macOS, Windows and Linux systems so it’s likely something we will be able to resolve. First suggestion would be to try using a fresh browser profile and see if you get the same results there. Please make sure you test with only the one (new) browser window open.

Hello Mattches,

Thanks for the quick reply - and spoiler alert - I am now able to play DRM’d videos, but after I completely uninstalled/reinstalled Brave (which didn’t work) and then uninstalling Brave, removing all directories with any Brave information, then reinstalling and synching up with my sync chain. So, I can’t test your profile theory…

I think it must have been the removal of all the data directories that did it - since simply uninstall/install didn’t work by itself. Sorry I didn’t remove stuff piecemeal, though, since that might have told me whether it was something in the profile rather than some other program data. In any case, thanks again and have a great day.

SJB

1 Like

No worries – I’m happy to hear everything is working for you now regardless.

“uninstalling Brave, removing all directories with any Brave information, then reinstalling”

Yes; tx.

Another possibility (I forgot about):

Settings > Additional Settings > Privacy and security > Site and Shield Settings > Content > Additional Content Settings > Protected content

Same as:

brave://settings/content/protectedContent

The setting is:

“Allow sites to play protected content (recommended)”

I leave it enabled.

Just wanted to add here that if you want to watch Disney+ and you get an error (error 83 if I remember correctly, by installing this Wine… thing, it will work.