Build Failing on Linux - License Error

I am getting the following build error for both components and release:

FAILED: gen/components/resources/about_credits.html
python …/…/build/util/python2_action.py …/…/tools/licenses.py --target-os=linux --depfile gen/components/resources/about_credits.d credits gen/components/resources/about_credits.html
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “…/…/tools/licenses.py”, line 859, in
sys.exit(main())
File “…/…/tools/licenses.py”, line 844, in main
args.gn_target, args.depfile):
File “…/…/tools/licenses.py”, line 714, in GenerateCredits
CheckBraveMissingLicense(target_os, path, e)
File “/home/yurname/src/brave-browser/src/brave/script/brave_license_helper.py”, line 146, in CheckBraveMissingLicense
raise error
main.LicenseError: missing README.chromium or licenses.py SPECIAL_CASES entry in brave/vendor/adblock_rust_ffi

I read through the files in the backtrace and (as a newbish experimenter) have determined the culprit line is likely in src/tools/licenses.py lines 440 and 441:

if not os.path.exists(readme_path):
raise LicenseError(“Missing README.chromium or Licenses.py SPECIAL_CASES entry in %s\n” % path)

I looked in brave/vendor/adblock_rust_ffi and sure enough there is no README.chromium there. There is a LICENSE file indicating the component is under MPL 2.0. I looked at other README.chromium files and it does not seem to complicated. Should one be added? Is the check for this readme in error?

You can delete the brave/vendor/adblock_rust_ffi directory. It has been moved directly into the brave repository as components/adblock_rust_ffi/.

1 Like

Ok I want to delete the brave/vendor/
adblock_rust_ffi directory into a Brave repository with component links to suit and activate 2.31.1 with downloads to Linux for latest update I also want to use the GitHub links for my browser extension Thanks for the info fmariar

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.