Youtube playing in background stopped working

A couple of days ago I got an OS update on my phone. Before that for months I was able to just listen to YT videos while the phone was with a turned-off screen in my pocket, but after the last system update it’s not working properly anymore. When the screen goes black the video still plays the sound, but only for about 30 seconds or so and then stops.

My phone is Huawei P30 Lite, Android 9.1.0.215, Brave 1.1.2

I have tried rebooting the phone, uninstalling and reinstalling Brave, switching to desktop mode. None of that helped.

Also it seems like it’s not affecting any specific videos, so far it has affected any random Youtube videos I have tried.

1 Like

@Oskars,
Thank you for reaching out.
Does this happen only for Youtube videos? Additionally, just to confirm, if you go to Settings --> Controls --> Background Video playback this option is Enabled, correct?

1 Like

Yes, the Background Video Playback is enabled, I checked 3 times before posting, just forgot to mention it, sorry.

I don’t really use other video sites, but now for the sake of testing I actually went to dailymotion.com through Brave and played some videos in the background, it seems to be working perfectly with no interruptions whatsoever (just like Youtube was before). So, yeah, I guess it’s only affecting Youtube now as far as I can see.

1 Like

@Oskars,
Can you tell me what your Shields settings are set to for Youtube.com?

Please, let me know, if you can’t figure it out because of the language, I’ll try to switch to English.

Anyway, just so you know, I have never touched the shield settings for this site or any other site ever, so they should be default. As far as I can remember I haven’t even changed any settings at all for Brave except enabling the Background Videos since I started using Brave a few months ago.

@Oskars,
Do you have any apps or system preferences on your device that would kill processes running in the background prematurely? I’m wondering if something halts the process in the background for your device.

Additionally, if you play a video in the background and can hear the sound, then it stops – what happens if you open Brave again? Does the app need to relaunch or is it still open/running on the device? Further, does the sound return/video continue to play when you open Brave at that time?

I haven’t changed any system settings or started using new apps between now and the time when Youtube was working in the background.

When I switch off the screen and put the phone in my pocket it still plays sound for about 30 seconds and it doesn’t look like it kills the process, because when I turn on the screen with the fingerprint sensor it immediately resumes playing the video.
If Brave was left in front as active app before turning off the screen, I don’t even have to press the play button,. If Brave was in background I can still resume the video manually by pressing play on the top menu.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.