Youtube masthead ad blocking not saving

Description of the issue:
Every day that i start up my PC and my Brave Browser and go to Youtube, An ad that i block every time, reappears. So many times that i’ve saved the div in a notepad and copy it to the brave shields block every day.
Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary):

1. Start up PC
  2. Start up Brave
  3. Go to Youtube.com

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):

Expected result:

Reproduces how often:
Once a day.
Brave Version(about:brave):

Reproducible on current live release (yes/no):
Yes
Additional Information:

Didn’t happen in the past 2 days, But it just started happening again. I did nothing different.

@Jeandre,
First, I’d like to make sure you’ve updated to latest release (went live today) to v0.62.50.
When you say you block the ad every day, are you referring to using the CSS filter to block the ad?

Also, it seems a bit unclear from you images exactly where this ad is showing – in the top image (actual result), it seems like you have a video selected and the ad appears to overlay it (which should be blocked by Shields already – we have an issue for this open). But in the second image (expected result), it seems to show the YT home/landing page with multiple videos to-be selected.

So I’m a bit unclear about which ad(s) you’re referring to/where they normally display. Could you elaborate a bit? Or perhaps share a short recording of you visiting YT and producing the ad issue?

I will do the update right after i post this reply

Yes, I use the CSS Filter like in your screenshot, with one of the following two filters:

iframe#ad-iframe.responsive.style-scope.ytd-video-masthead-ad-renderer

div#masthead-ad.style-scope.ytd-browse

Both of these screenshots were taken on the home/landing page of YT
(https://i.imgur.com/OSgyi0t.jpg)

They’re currently not appearing, But next time they do I will record it and post another response to here.

Please and thank you! Appreciate your diligence.

Hello again, I can confirm that it is still happening. I just opened up Youtube on Brave today and it’s shown up again:

@Jeandre,
Thanks for the update. I can’t reproduce this but I do know that we’re having an issue with some YT ads bypassing Shields – likely related.

That looks like Win10 you’re using – but correct me if I’m wrong. Can you also send a screenshot of your Shields settings on that page and the console output in developer tools? Would help to see whats happening under the hood.

Currently the ad is not showing, although it was showing this afternoon again. I’ve taken a console printout and screenshot of my shields settings on Youtube.com now while the ad is not showing, and will take all of these again when the ad does come through again. Here is the shield screenshots:

(https://pastebin.com/rNiuXHrK)

Here is the console output:

Thanks

Hi Mattches, The ad just showed up again after launching my PC again today. These are the shield settings and console pictures:

Shield:

https://pastebin.com/f18N12Px

Console:

1 Like

@Jeandre,
Thanks for the additional details.
For the first part of the issue – where YT player shows the black error screen – I’ve assisted other users encountering this recently and it seems to be a caching error. Clearing Youtube cache/data has resolved the issue so far. Please try this and see if it resolves the issue on your end as well.

As for the ad, I’ve added your report as a +1 to an open issue filed regarding Youtube ads appearing when they shouldn’t:

Unfortunately I’m not sure I have a solution to the ad appearing at this time – I’ll try and make some noise about this though.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.