YouTube crashes instantly upon trying to play a video

Hello, I am a new user to Brave and have been trying to use this in our school environment which uses Securly as a web filter. I am a technician and working with our network admin to try and fix the issue where when we try to play any video on YouTube.com, it crashes immediately or within the first few seconds of playing the video. Disabling the shield also did not make an impact on functionality. This is after an install with no changes made to any settings.

My question is what could be causing this to crash and if there are any specific addresses that we need to add into our filter to make it work properly. YouTube works just fine in any other browser at school and Brave works for me fine outside of school, so I know that there is something that needs to be allowed.

Local Crash ID e3ed9f98-0e85-4278-b801-15eecadaf76a

Brave is up to date
Version 0.59.34 Chromium: 72.0.3626.81 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Something similar is happening here, I can’t even play a video with 1,5 speed. Brave has been SO slow the past few days… It really sucks, I’m trying to keep using it, but sometimes I wonder why…

@dhalvorsen,
Thanks for reaching out to us. Lets see if we can figure out whats going on.
Questions:

• I see that you’ve tagged your post with Windows - are you using Windows 7 or 10 (or heaven forbid Win8/.1)?
  • Are you able to stream/watch video content on other websites or is it just Youtube that crashes?
    • If media players on other sites also cause the crash, which sites did you test?

Suggestion:

• This smells a lot like a Hardware Acceleration issue. Try to disable this feature and see if that resolves the issue (Settings --> Advanced --> System --> Hardware Acceleration)

Let me know what you find out.

Windows 10 ver 1809

I disabled hardware acceleration and it still doesn’t play.

I am able to play videos on CNN and Vimeo without any issue. I tried to play a YouTube Vevo on EW and it played for a few seconds and then crashed. It appears to only be linked to YouTube.

Any way you’d be willing to grab a short recording of this behavior?

My network admin has the same issue as I do, so I have no doubt it’s an issue between our setup with Securly or Fortinet. I just don’t know what could be triggering this between the two or where to start. I even realized this time that YouTube crashes if you just let it sit idle on the site a few seconds. I created a screen recording and converted it to mp4, but then this site said I can’t upload because I’m new? If you can change that, I’ll upload it.

It’s because its a video file and not a gif. You should upload it to imgur and post the link. Appreciate you recording it.

https://imgur.com/om8E33p

1 Like

Thanks so much - apologies for the late reply.
So did some digging and found this guy:

This sounds an awful like what you’re encountering but I’d like to confirm. Best way to do this is by investigating your crash reports when it happens. Try the following:

1. Read up on crash reporting and what data we see in these reports if you’re unsure
  2. Open Brave and enable crash reporting (you can also submit them manually after producing the crash if you’d like - option to do this is located directly under the crash ID, Send now)
  3. Navigate to Youtube and try to stream a video
  4. Let Brave crash then relaunch.
  5. Type Brave://crashes into your address bar and send me your Crash Report ID. You can send the whole bolded string you see - should look something like this:
    Uploaded Crash Report ID 2bc50312538b15d7 (Local Crash ID: 2ef153e7-2c0e-4a51-8af8-7ba529553b80)

We can then investigate the crash itself on our end and confirm whether or not these two things are the same and subsequently whether or not we have 1 or 2 Youtube issues to tend to :upside_down_face:
Appreciate your patience and understanding on this.

I did do this actually with the first one listed on this post, however I didn’t realize that I only sent the local ID. After I put that in the post, I uploaded it and it is below:

Uploaded Crash Report ID 7e3a31a1e0cc884d (Local Crash ID: e3ed9f98-0e85-4278-b801-15eecadaf76a)

Crash report captured on Monday, February 4, 2019 at 8:53:18 AM, uploaded on Monday, February 4, 2019 at 9:08:23 AM

Sitting idle on YouTube and then crashing:

Uploaded Crash Report ID d60fa1dce2a0c22b (Local Crash ID: 05df4be6-6393-48c4-a90b-f1f54dc0e761)

Crash report captured on Friday, February 8, 2019 at 1:53:06 PM, uploaded on Friday, February 8, 2019 at 1:53:07 PM

Trying to play a video on YouTube:

Uploaded Crash Report ID 02fe8900ca4566f9 (Local Crash ID: ea4553e9-03cb-4167-96d2-26928de8c62c)

Crash report captured on Friday, February 8, 2019 at 1:54:13 PM, uploaded on Friday, February 8, 2019 at 1:54:56 PM

Trying to play an embedded YouTube on ew.com (https://ew.com/music/2018/11/30/thank-u-next-reference-guide/):

Uploaded Crash Report ID 2962f18f80d104e8 (Local Crash ID: bec7a256-d3e5-4578-9bcd-32e649fdc27e)

Crash report captured on Friday, February 8, 2019 at 1:57:21 PM, uploaded on Friday, February 8, 2019 at 1:58:18 PM

1 Like

Thanks for the info!
Going to take a look at this and see what’s happening in the background. Appreciate your patience.

Hi - I too am facing the same issue of Brave crashing a few seconds into playing a youtube video. My Brave browser instance also seems unable to upload crash reports, either automatically, or by clicking the “upload now” link next to the crash report. It just remains at “upload requested by user, not yet uploaded”. Restarting the browser shows it again as “not uploaded” … What do I do?

1 Like

@lnkrishnan,
Are you looking on the brave://crashes page when you go to manually upload?

Hello @Mattches - that is correct. I am at the brave://crashes page and clicking on the ‘Send now’ link. See screenshot below. On browser restart, those “upload requested by user, not yet uploaded” statuses will reset to “was not uploaded” state.

@Mattches
We did some other troubleshooting today and when we turned off “forced login” on Securly, it worked. When we turned forced login back on, then Brave crashed again. This setting with Securly doesn’t cause an issue with Chrome.

@dhalvorsen,
Great sleuthing! Glad to hear you isolated the source of the problem (and extra glad it’s not another bug to fix!).

I’ll make sure the team sees this report so they can investigate the issue with Securly.

Thank you again for reaching out. Please don’t hesitate to open a new thread should you have any additional comments or concerns.