YouTube 2x playback: poor audio quality on mobile but not on desktop

Hello,

I’m looking for some help with an issue that I’ve been experiencing when I play YouTube videos on 2x speed. When I do so on my mobile devices (iPhone 12 and iPad Pro), the quality of the audio is much worse than when I do so on my MacBook Pro.

Behaviour of Concern:

Here is a sample of the behaviour with this YouTube video. The sample was produced with:

iPad Pro (Model A1980)
iPad OS 16.3.1
Brave Version 1.48.1 (23.3.2.0)

I’ve also produced the behaviour with:

iPhone 12 
iOS 16.3.1
Brave Version 1.48.1 (23.3.2.0)

Expected Result:

Here is a sample of the behaviour (using the same YouTube video) on my MacBook Pro. The audio quality is much better. This sample was produced with:

MacBook Pro (Model A1990)
macOS Ventura 13.2.1
Brave Version 1.49.128 Chromium: 111.0.5563.110 (Official Build) (x86_64)

Closing Comment:

Thanks in advance for your help. I love the browser and hope that a solution can be found for this issue.

Cheers!

Hello,

I am following up on this support request. Is anyone able to offer their assistance?

Thank you in advance!

These don’t sound dramatically different to my ear, but I do indeed hear a difference.

I suspect what could be at play is the bitrate of the media being delivered. The desktop version is receiving the 720p video content, whereas the mobile device (iPad in this case) may be receiving a lower-quality stream, and thus a lower-quality audio channel. It may be that your mobile device is receiving/playing the 144p, 240p, 360, or 480p content.

The iPad recording starts after the media has already been full-screened, but you should (before that) be able to see the quality settings via the :gear: icon at the bottom-right of the video container. I’m curious if both devices are set to receive and play-back the same media.

Hello,

Thank you for your response. Both samples in my first post were 720p videos.

I would characterize the distortion as an upward pitch shift. Here is another sample set that might better demonstrate the behaviour differences:

Worse Audio Quality:

iPhone 12 Sample
iOS 16.4.1
Brave Version 1.49.1 (23.4.12.18)

Better Audio Quality:

MacBook Pro (Model A1990) Sample
macOS Ventura 13.3.1
Brave Version 1.50.114 Chromium: 112.0.5615.49 (Official Build) (x86_64)

Even Better Audio Quality:

*Apples to oranges comparison, but hopefully helpful to demonstrate audio quality differences
Spotify MacOS App Sample

Hoping that there is a way to achieve a pitch-corrected audio time stretch in iOS and iPad OS that is closer to the desktop browser.

Really appreciate your attention :slight_smile:

Hi there,

I’ve noticed that this topic will close after a month from the last reply. As it’s getting close to that point, I wanted to check in to see if anyone has had luck in investigating this issue.

I really appreciate your attention. Thanks so much!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.