Wrong trackers being flagged in a website

Description:- Brave incorrectly detects a Google Analytics Tracker on a ProtonMail site, which can be really bad for them, because a privacy focused company like theirs ( and yours! ) would lose tons of reputation if you were found to be using Google Analytics

Website in question:- ProtonMail Careers Page

Screenshot:-

Did the issue present with default Shields settings:- Yes

Does the site function as expected when Shields are turned off? Not Applicable

Is there a specific Shields configuration that causes the site to break? NoDoes the site work as expected when using Chrome? Yes, but Not Applicable

Brave version: 1.27.111 Chromium: 92.0.4515.131 (Official Build) (64-bit) and
1.30.3 Chromium: 92.0.4515.131 (Official Build) nightly (64-bit)

Brave Shields act accordingly, Protonmail allow analytics on their website.

Correct, the public facing site for protonmail has trackers, including from google.

1 Like

@fanboynz @Rethanis You can check their source code. There is no Google Tag Manager or Analytics Tag

Hey @Rudra_P you can check for yourself

Open another browser (to confirm) checking in Chrome

1. Press F12
  2. Click on Network Tab.
  3. Search for google
  4. Shows requests.

Chrome:

Firefox:

@fanboynz I indeed found it! Is Brave on Mastodon? If so, please reply in thread to this post to clear things

Did post on Twitter, https://twitter.com/fanboynz/status/1423830167231688705?s=20

2 Likes

They used embedded ted videos which used google analytics. Then quietly changed to a embedded youtube clip instead.

As seen in the screenshot of uBlock Origin’s logger.

Is this their attempt in improving the situation? :roll_eyes:

Doesn’t look like it is helping them anyway, though. I am still able to see analytics trackers ( it says blocked because I have Privacy Badger by EFF installed )

The advertisement nailed the timing!

Take it up with protonmail here (via the twitter thread or other methods), not much Brave can do here.

1 Like

They replied via Mastodon, thanks for the help :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.