Windows Update Screwed Up Download Locations

Getting really frustrated with Microsoft’s BS. So earlier this week my Windows 10 equipped Dell desktop got a huge update, took a long time and apparently changed a bunch of security settings without my knowledge.

I routinely get emails from a friend in which we used various file sharing platforms to share files. Never had a problem at all. But now, when I try click the download page and direct the download to a 2TB portable drive, I get the error message “You Don’t Have Permission to Access This Folder” but it gives me the option to click ‘Continue’ to add permisson, which brings up the window asking if I want to allow Brave to change the app setting to change my device settings. When I click yes, I get ANOTHER error message stating “You Don’t Have Permission to Access This Folder” and tells me to use the security tab!

It’s my damned computer! No one uses it but me and I never changed any settings, certainly didn’t rig my own damned computer to restrict me from downloading to my own damned portable drive!

I’ve screwed around with the security settings, but to no avail, nothing I seem to do changes this. I used this computer and this exact drives probably 100 times before that update and that’s been the only change to my system, ever. The computer is less than a year old.

Anyone else have this problem or know a solution? It’s doing it on Chrome as well, but I hardly ever use that browser and figured I’d get a more honest and faster response from the Brave community anyway.

EDIT: After looking around it appears that the idiotic Windows 10 update changed ownership of the file folder inside of the drive. However, it absolutely will not let me take ownership or change security access levels, I keep getting “Failed to Enumerate Objects in the Container” message. I’ve searched the net and found several 'How To Fix" articles on this error, but none work, they all recommend the same same step and they all fail; when I ultimately get back to the same step of clicking ‘Ok’, the same error pops up.

This is maddening…

EDIT #2: Searching around I found an answer by HairyFool on Microsoft’s Community site that seemed to fix it, posting it here in case anyone needs the answer. It’s pathetic that MS users have to post fixes and MS can’t, and it’s a pain to have to do with with file folders in EACH portable drive, but it did work.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.