Windows Defender Browser Protection

This extension for Chrome removes more phishing sites than Chrome could and in theory should be almost equal to how much Microsoft Edge removes phishing sites, I haven’t seen anything better than this so this is as close as you can get to keeping phishing sites out and preventing from them stealing your information.

I would like to add my vote to this extension request.

@baminebrine | Why would you add Microsoft’s product to Brave’s Browser?

I don’t care whose product it is as long as it improves security.

Which means that every address you surf to and every address of everything a page loads in addition will get send to Microsoft and monitored there, so they get your full browser history in real-time. Which totally removes the main point of Brave: Increased privacy a.k.a. “You are not a product”.

@baminebrine @hst51 Out of curiosity: If it’s not privacy, what is your major reason to use Brave?

I think I would be willing to sacrifice some privacy for better protection, at least at this point in time as I don’t have anything to hide. Good question about why I am using Brave. Just trying it out. A friend recommended it to me and he is into privacy big time. But there is also overlap between privacy and security. You can’t completely separate them. I realize that.

Thank you :slight_smile: (The “I have nothing to hide” argument is considered as flawed by seriously privacy-aware people but I won’t get into the depth of that, not here. Hnnng!)

[spoiler]

*Fuse blown* Well, indeed: The “special kind” of security you get by letting some third party / other company monitor whatever you do on the internet and “privacy” in general are on the opposite sides of the same coin, obviously.
And don’t think they will use your browser history (including at which time you surfed to which address and how long you stayed on which page) only for providing the warning service, they will squeeze every piece of information they can get out of it, to sell specific, searchable info to everyone who will pay for it - that is what “improving our service” really means: Making money for the company (which can then be used to pay developers and for other purposes).
I remember having read about DeviantArt.com being flagged for delivering malware. For sure that’s not their business whatsover, so - why? Because they use some external service provider to provide commercials to the DeviantArt-users and someone managed to sneak in malware within these commercials.

So, you get the warning that a certain site “is known for delivering malware” - now what, what can you do? Never visit the site again? What if this happens to your email provider? Since you don’t know what exactly caused the site to get flagged, that’s merely your only option, unless you have other security measures running (such as the Brave Shields or other ad-blockers in a different browser) that would make the warning moot, because the malware (being disguised in ads) won’t reach you anyway.

*handwave* Sorry - I’m aware that some people (most, I guess) don’t care about their privacy on the internet.[/spoiler]

I think most people care about their privacy to one degree or another. Some more, some less. And yes, the monitoring of one’s internet use has it’s down side. As you point out, the information is used for marketing purposes. We all know that. But maybe this is the price we pay for free use of the internet. It’s a give an take, a balance. If the balance point shifts too far I may change my mind on this but right now this is how I see it. And as far as false malware alerts go, yes there will be those but then you at least have information to make a decision on.

Best regards.